Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Not sure what this sound is.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Bluespawn, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Okay, I haven't been riding long, but my bike has a bit of a rattle comming from the motor. Now I've been told that bikes tend to rattle a bit (this is at idle when hot or cold)

Now, I'm not sure if this is normal. I can't really feel any problems with the bike, but hey, what do I know.

The bike has done 26k, 91 zxr250. I have heard that timing chains need to be changed, but I wouldn't have thought so early in it's life. I know it's a grey import though and that I can't really trust the kms on the clock. So that being said, not sure what I should do.

2. A 91 bike could well have been clocked over by this stage...

Sounds like cam chain to me... My GPz has 5mm of play and it already rattles like hell, the manual sez i've got till 27mm freeplay before she'll be at the point of no return...
  3. yea its the cam chain. change it asap.
    26k on a 91 model bike?? hrmm........the import bikes are not always as they seem
  4. Anyone got any ideas on what the cam chain might cost? I admit I don't have a huge amount of cash to do it at the moment but I'm using the bike to commute. If it's not excessive I'll get it done now, or perhaps I can do it myself if I can find a manual.
  5. try putting some chain lube on it - and see how you go
  6. The good news is that if it goes away as you rev it's probably not too serious.

bikes do tend to be more rattly then cars, particully pre-late 90's bikes. so it may not be anything.

A very common problem (once again particuly in early 90's bikes) is the stock cam chain tensioner goes a bit awry. A common fix is to replace it with a manual tensioner. It's an easy job to do, but it does mean you will need to adjust it every 6 months or so.

It's unlikely to be the chain itelf as the load on a 250 chain is pretty small. It may be the guides, but, if the noise is excessive, I'd bet it's the tensioner.
  7. Thanks for the reply, well I have to get it serviced soon anyway, so perhaps I can ask them to have a look at it for me. Hopefully it's nothing too serious, and it is only rattly at low revs. (Holding my breath for a positive result.)
  8. The sooner you get it sorted out the better.

Cam chains failing get very expensive.