Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Not strong enough !?!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by p_stampy, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Ok, If you've ever read any of my posts, you've come to realise that Im too short to touch the ground on most bikes, and clothes (pants) arn't made for me.

My next problem is picking up a bike. I'm not a total weakling, but I cannot for the life of me pick up my 150kg bike myself, if its on its side.

Yesterday we carefully lay it down on its side to see if I could pick it up. I think all I got was a sore back and legs.

Is it worth doing weights to become stronger so I can lift the bike up - or is it something that no matter what i do to become stronger, just wont be able to do?

I used to do kayaking and got rotator cuff tendinitis, so often when i do weights i end up hurting myself anyway.

If there is any hope of this, can anyone suggest any exersizes that might be useful?
  2. there is an article i've seen somewhere written for little ppls like yourself :D i'm pretty sure it was some wee chick on a BMW or something showing you how to do it.

basically, you dont want to be lifting so much, you want to be pushing it up. you want to be facing away from the bike, grab the bars with one hand and the pillion handle with the other, bend your knees right down, pull up till the tyres are on the ground and then lift and push against the bike using your legs :D

she described it REALLY well if you manage to dig it up, but thats the jist of the technique...
  3. hahaha! thats the article tony, well done 8)
  4. Technique, Technique, TECHNIQUE. Your physical strength does play a small component but unless you are a starved, malnutrition person you can pick up a bike, especially a GPX250 which is prolly one of the lightest, full faired bikes you'll ever own/ride.

I've witnessed a 5' NOTHING, slim build lady pick up a 170+ bike with no worries because she knew the technique. It's the same principle as putting the bike on it's centre stand, once you know the technique it puts itself on the centre stand and doesn't leave you looking like your trying to rock your bike back and forward to it's death.

Two Wheels wrote a very good article on it. I'll try and find it and give a write up of it.

EDIT: Well done Tony
  5. excellent.. thanks everyone :)
  6. There's a certain technique to lifting a bike, a bit difficult to describe in words (for me, anyway). If you can get someone to show you, that makes it easier.
    In my experience, if you do drop it you'll be so pumped with adrenaline -and anger - you'll be able to lift it no sweat!
  7. Your not the only one in same position mate. Their is a certain technique for picking up your bike and if done effectively you can pick up a just about any capacity bike without snapping your spine in two.

I know there is a website out there which gives a step by step guide of what I’m talking about but I’m not sure where it is. Can anybody out on this?

Right, the way to pick up your bike.

First of all, make sure the bike is in gear! You don't want it rolling away from you. Stand with your back to your bike so that your calf muscles are against the seat and tank. Try to make sure your around about the centre of the bike.

Crouch down and with one hand on handlebars and the other on the frame near the back of the seat (these hand positions can be changed, just as long as the gripping points are nice and solid.)

Just like picking up a heavy box, use your legs and your body weight to push against the bike. It should start to come of the ground. DO THIS PROCESS SLOWLY!

There is no need to rush, it sucks when you've just dropped your bike on its side and 5 minutes later you push it over onto its other side! If you’ve dropped your bike on the side without the kickstand, then just pull it out and this adds even more security to the procedure.

This is all from memory so I’m not sure if its entirely correct but its always worked for me when I’ve put my bike down after misjudging u-turns ect.

8. The pinkribbon page is good.. shows step by step with pictures and so on.

I did read something the other night, but there were no pictures and wasn't sure how to do it.

Thanks again, I feel more confident now about it!
  9. :shock: Really? I just sat down on the hill and cried :cry: til some big security guy came across the road and lifted it for me :D (he was a biker ;) ) That's my technique... but I really should learn the proper way 8) -J.
  10. The backwards push doesnt work very well on gravel. So I used saeraphs way lol
  11. Doing weights would definately help. But howmuch depends on your body type and how dedicated you will be.

I weight 60 kilos but can lift my friends 215kiloish bandit1200 off the ground. He thought it would be funny, and it was, but i showed him good hahahah. I was lifting it from the wrong place and had a swollen sore tendin in my left hand.

Mind you had i known it weighed that much I probably wouldn't have been able to lift it for the life of me :D
  12. I noticed the bike used in the pink page seems to be sitting up higher to start with, whereas my handlebars are on the ground.

Hopefully I wont have to try and do this too often.
  13. I'll vouch for that one - my bikes nearly 3x my weight - and I managed to get it back up and going. Did not even consider the idea of leaving it in the middle of an intersection on its side .....
  14. Not a bike, but a couple of years back I was taking a trailer load of rubbish to the tip. At the first corner I discovered that someone had snaffled the U-bolts that hold the axle to the springs. The wheels popped out the back.

Anyway, I picked up the back of the trailer and kicked the wheels back into place.
    Later, I couldn't budge the thing. Had to use a jack to lift it to fit the new U-bolts.
  15. In Japan the licensing requirement is such that, if you can't pick your bike up from lying on its side, under the watchful gaze of the examiner, you don't get your licence.

Don't fancy going for a licence on a Gold Wing!
  16. I think that might no longer be the case, RC.

As for picking a fallen bike up... one hand on the lower handlebar/clip-on, other hand on subframe rail, grabrail or pillion peg bracket, hip against the tank and heave... works every time.
  17. I stuggle to put it on its centre stand also.

Anyway..... yesterday my helmet arrived *yay* (on my birthday too!) so i went for another little ride.

For some reason I was really nervous, almost feeling sick. I dont know why. I was obviously very tense, because today my whole right arm is sore.

I know what I want to do in my head, but when I go to ride i just start shaking and so on.

Now i know why everyone whinges about it being too hot when dressed up to go riding. Im usually always cold but with everything on yesterday I acutally got pretty warm..
  18. just chill out and you'll be fine :wink: nerves are the WORST thing for you on a bike and make it much harder to ride properly. loosen up and practice on some very quiet roads till you stop stressing enuff to ride on some busier roads.

its easier to say than do, i know, but relax a little and it'll all come into place much sooner....
  19. Yeh, i live in a cul-de-sac so im not worried about traffic.

Infact I dont know what im worried about really - I guess just dropping the bike.

Also most of hte time im not riding very far, im just doing lots of turns and trying not to put my feet down.