Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Not starting in the morning

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Macca1983, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Hey all. I'm having trouble with my Suzuki Across. It simply will not start in the morning (even with the choke out). End up having to take a car out instread. When I get home she starts first time no hassles. Mornings have been a little cold but no where near the temps during winter last year and I had no troubles back then.

Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance
  2. Does it just turn over and not fire? It can be due to the cold weather and the age of the battery. As temperatures drop, it is harder to get power out of the battery cells. So during the afternoon it may heat up a few degrees allowing it to give you full power. Old batteries are more prone to giving you less power during cold weathers. I found with my bike, it is harder to start if the temperatures in the garage dip below 10 degrees...anything above 10 seems to be fine.
  3. Try half choke, maybe full choke is too much and flooded it.

It's only chilly after all.
  4. cheers guys, battery is virtually brand new. Ignition fires but doesn't kick over. I think I may need to clean the sparks.... maybe
  5. Do you run premium fuel? I'd suggest, esp for small bores that may be a bit low on compression that using only 91-95 RON....

My wifes CBR250 when between 40,000- 60,000kms (in winter only) would NOT start of a morning with premium fuel....quite often fouling the plugs too....throw new plugs in and normal fuel and she'd run like a dream.

So new plugs and don't run premium and report back to us? :)
  6. Would look at your fuel,sounds like your carbie needs looking at might be letting in too much fuel or your floats sticking in carbie,dont think its plugs they usually backfire sometimes when no good,good luck keep trying.
  7. +1 on the fuel, 91 octane non E10 verison was all my hornet ran sweet on and was the only fuel that would get it to start when its been left outside over night in subzero tempretures.

Too many nubs think their bikes are hardcore performance machines and are conned by the advertising and use premium fuel in their rides. its really not needed.