Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Not riding my motorcycle - bad?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by philmydang, Jan 24, 2010.

1. I've taken my bike apart to redo the paint, however it's been sitting in the garage for about 2-3 weeks now due to a few setbacks. It'll be at least another week before I can fire it up again. Is this bad? Will my engine seize?

2. No.

3. ^^^^^ wot 'e said!

4. As long as your garage is above the Mean High Water mark, you should be OK.
    If you're going to leave it more than a couple of months it'd be a good idea to charge the battery.

5. Cool thanks. Another question, currently the fuel is sitting in a jerry can - how long can it sit there for? Will i need to place some kind of additive before i reuse it?

6. Until you tip it out :rofl:

But seriously, If the Jerry can is air tight, as in when you open it you get a pffft of vapour expelled then it will be fine. If it is pretty much open to the air then this is not good.

V8

7. Not riding your motorcycle is very very bad. It causes atrophy of the soul. :p

8. Good to see you're being careful :) I need to split the cases on one of my engines due to my own stupidity.

9. wont hurt a bike sitting even for a few month .. look after the battery and keep it charge
    u have no probs

10. amen to that...

11. Unused bike engines have a use-by date of aprox 14 days.
    Sorry... you may as well use it as a paper weight
    ](*,)