Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Not really a cruiser?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Hubie75, Nov 23, 2007.

1. G'day all,

First post (sort of, so I can post a pic :p ) had this beast for a week and thought I would share it as not many around. What do you think???

2. What ever rows your boat!.

Reckon it would still be a lot of fun on a lazy sunday!
  3. I think they look great!

I couldn't have one as an only bike as they aren't well suited to long distance, heavily loaded 'fast touring', but I'd love one as a sunday arvo lazy ride bike.
  4. Nice bike mate congrats and enjoy.

And welcome.
  5. Congrats mate it looks beautiful !! Enjoy :cool:
  6. Would make a good wall mount display. [​IMG]
  7. Yeah, I'd love one as a second bike. I'm sure even cruisers would pass me going up Macquarie Pass, but I wouldn't care.

Then again, I wonder how amenable the engine is to hotting up???
  8. Welcome :)

Paul, Egli hotted them up for a while, dunno if they still do. There is also a caff racer version available from Enfield.

Engine prolly would respond to modification, but at such low, slow revs, it would make an interesting mix of doing this vs. vibration and the original parts being able to handle it, including the brakes. Mind you, they're reknown for being solid and run pretty much on anything that combusts. I nearly bought one new a few years back.
  9. Hubie75 thats one sweet classic there mate... Looks great! Good score.

Few trophys to be won with that one mate :cool:
  10. I want one of those. Now that I have sold the matchless I will need another single. One day I hope.
  11. Thanks for all the replies y'all!

They are great. Not fast but with simple mods can get about 50% better power and performance out of them. can also fit front sprocket with extra teeth to give better top cruising range. They are very robust and great to have if you like to do your own maintenance.

12. And yes he has already had to do some of that.....what was that you needed to use the soldering iron on last week?
  13. A modern version of a classic bike...

...did it come with an oil leak as standard? :LOL:

Seriously though, looks the business. :)
  14. To inform all about this machine,

The bike is almost exactly as it came off the production line in 1955. The only exceptions are the indicators, electric start and a fifth gear. Other than that, they are identical.

As far as reliability goes, mine has not leaked any oil. About 7 years ago a new firm took over Royal Enfield and put in place 122 quality control improvements. They are alot better than they used to be. If anyone was going to buy one, I would advise not to get one older than 2006. If you want to know more about them, goto www.aussieenfields.com

15. Pretty ride, but as you said, its a 1955 design without much improvement.

Brakes are an issue - that is a little drum on the front! These days there are limited mechanics around that know how to set up drum brakes properly. Don't chase any modern bikes down hills with lots of heavy braking. Drum brake fade is scary - old farts remember the joy of the right hand lever hitting the bar without any discernable retarding of the bike! Ahhh, the old days.

16. very cool laid back kind of bike, welcome. :grin:
  17. I saw this one elsewhere link

18. Yep, They are drum brakes but they are twin shoe unlike older bikes and actually do the job pretty well. They're up to the task for what the bike is and have good feel.

There's a stack of footage on Youtube (bullet in usa) and you can always check out the Royal Enfield Australia Website if you're interested.