Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Not paying enough attention.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Jem, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Hi all,

Learnt a valuable lesson this morning about not paying enough attention.

Situation; Riding along Canterbury Road inbound in right hand lane left hand wheel track just cruising along with the traffic on the way to work. See a bike coming toward me and think what the hell is that on the top of his Helmet so keep my eyes on him too long.... Look up again and the traffic in front of me has stopped for someone turning right. Grab the brakes and come to a stop well short of where the cars are stopped.

Lessons learnt -
    1. Do not get distracted and stay looking at something for too long
    2. My buffer distance seems to be appropriate
    3. My Ebraking practice was well worth it as no panic about having to brake hard and stopped well short
    4. Hmm 8 months into riding and perhaps getting a bit over confident, time to pull head back in.

Cheers Jeremy

• Like Like x 3
  2. Tick !
    Tick !
    Tick !
    and Tick!!

I had an idiot[while I was filtering, whos? the idiot??]
    anyhoo, SHE was rootin round with her mobile txting!! She yelled at me for scaring her when I had a go about her drifting across lanes!! In stop start traffic!!
    Yep, dont get complacent.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Agreed , going from the sports bike to the beemer , i had to relearn concentration - different excitement levels, sound levels, viewing angle.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. so, what was on top of his helmet ;)
  5. Hi,

Suspect it was a GroPro or some other sort of Camera

It was the fact that it stuck up a good 6 inches above his helmet that caught my eye.

6. yep

life or death situations present themselves that fast.
    natural selection works very well

you should aim for 100% mental focus 100% of the time,
    because sometimes the time it takes to think, is just too slow for riding at high speeds (sometimes 80kph just the same)

try to be a reactive unit, like a fly that darts around, rather than a car driver thinking about texting while adjusting the radio and maybe looking at the road occasionally

a moments distraction can lead to imminent death! (get used to it or stop riding)
    • Like Like x 1
  7. #7 SevenSins, Oct 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    Sometimes on the bike I am SO awake like I've never been so awake in my life.. usually it's at higher speeds when adrenaline is pumping.. everything is sharp, clear and bright. I always think of that scene in Thelma and Louise...[URL="]

Sometimes I feel like I'm in a dreamlike state... wide awake, yet everything is so surreal...like it's unreal and I'm dreaming.. anyone else ever feel like that?
  8. Well at least you target fixation was "caught on camera"

:rofl: - Soz Jem, couldn't resist.....

Good debrief - I trust you won't <easily> let it happen again (y)
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Jem's good. took it seriously from day dot. learned fast.
    it is sureal. you are on a different plane to the cagers.
    but you can really only pause to check out the scenery at the lights, after a couple have stopped behind you.
    other than that the only thing to look at is gaps.
    you go where you look. that's the first thing you learnt remember.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I agree. Does feel like you're in your own little world. A great feeling when you're out on the open road. Until you target fixate on something and then that good feeling goes straight out the window (metaphorically speaking). It's easy to do Jem, I find myself fixating on dead animals (obviously my riding environment is much different to yours!).
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Thanks all, as usual some great thoughts and advice.

Fortunately I learnt how true the target fixation thing is in a safe environment - Sat practice, went something like this-

Don't look at the cones, shit I am looking at that cone followed by shit I just ran over that cone! People had talked to me about it but that lesson really drove home how true it was.

MT1 - thanks.

When I started out my first thought was I really do not know anything about this, after some more thinking I realised it is worse than that. I do not even know what I do not know, better go out and find some people who do.

The list of people on here that have helped me is enormous and I am really grateful to them all.

Think in some ways this was a good experience for my riding development, it drove home just how quickly things can happen. It also proved to me that all the things I had learnt and practiced over and over again where so worth it.

But most importantly it showed me how far I have to go before I can consider myself a competent rider let alone a good one.

Thanks again all.

Cheers Jeremy
  12. Totally agree.....

From the get-go Jem has exhibited respect and has been a conscientiousness learner.......I just wish more new riders followed the same progression.......
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Too true........

I've said it before, and I'll continue to say it:
    "The day I stop learning on a Motorcycle is the day I stop riding one"

You will NEVER, stop learning.......you may think you've seen a lot and then one day a new scenario is happening NOW - NOW oh shit NOW!

Being complacent, over-confident or simply loosing respect for what you are doing is when you hang up the Lid and take up miniature golf........
    • Like Like x 1
  14. This one Jeremy.
    And you are not alone mate. A lot of guys with around 12 mths and 6-10,000 k's up, do start to feel very comfortable on their bikes, lulling them into false sense of security.

You'll be judged by how well you get out of a sticky spot,,than how well you got into one. You were fine, you stopped, and well done.
    Things can turn hell in a handbag without much warning.

My personal rule: put my game face on, and keep it there till I've turned the bike off at the other end.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. this. but it's hard - very hard - when you're on your regular commute. it's only human nature to get lulled by the routine. I try and keep a mental commentary going when I feel the concentration drifting away. Usually it's interspersed with me telling myself how I just screwed up.
  16. Sorry, but it is not possible to maintain 100% focus, 100% of the time.
    In the real world as dgmeister described. There are distractions, and that level of focus is extremely tiring.

It's important to look around a bit, relax the jaw, and stop clenching your teeth. Open your mouth and let your lower jaw hang loose. But pick your time. There is time to relax on purpose, instead of drifting off without realising it.

It's a good principal, but too difficult in reality.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Plus alter the commute to keep things fresh.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. I agree there is a danger to get complacent as a daily commuter..........that is why at least once a week I have a longer ride into the office or a longer ride home.......I deliberately use different roads and travel at a different time to break up the routine............also, it is usually on these rides where I practice some e-braking, slow u-turns etc......just to keep things fresh......
  19. thats why i said you should AIM for 100%!
    100% is perfect, therefore impossible, but you aim for perfection.

the moment you lose attention is the moment you drift into the oncoming lane

in a crash situation, you have an average of 2 seconds to recognise the hazard, evaluate your escape options, choose an option, and perform the maneuver effectively. you have to do this under the pressure of your life being in danger.

if you are distracted for 2 seconds, you could die without even knowing it. (and i almost have)

discipline (not being a dick) is also important, and sometimes there is a very fine line between having fun and being a dick head