Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Not much feel with braided lines

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by momo, May 2, 2009.

1. A few days ago, I installed a set of HEL braided lines on my ZXR. The problem is that I don't seem to have much, if any, more feel than with the 15 year old rubber lines. I still need to pull the lever most of the way to the bar before I can feel anything, and there doesn't seem to be the crisp bite that I was expecting. I am sure that there is no air in the lines. Might it be time for a master cylinder rebuild?

2. Kawasaki knew nothing about brakes until the early 2000's prior to that their brakes were atrocious.

When I first test rode my '98 ZX6R I almost hit the first car that was in front of me as the thing wouldn't brake. The CBR250RR had brakes that were of F1 standard compared to the sponges that the ZX6 had.

3. When I put my braided lines on I spent ages bleeding them. I'm tipping that there's more than likely still some air in the system.

4. Crack the banjo at the master cylinder when bleeding to make sure no air is stuck in there.

5. I bought a vacuum brake bleeding kit for doing my brakes and clutch lines.

Easy as to use , suck fluid down through the lines , then reverse the connections , and force fluid back up , therefore pushing air back out the top.

Brakes are a world of difference now, feel hard, no sponge feeling.

6. Bollocks Vic, the bike you bought hadn't been maintained properly. A 6-piston Tokico/Nissin/whatever it is caliper will do a great job if it's in good nick. The brakes on my 97 are very strong when they're looked after.

To the OP, you've definately got air in your lines. Take them to a mechanic with a bottle of fluid and get them to power bleed the lines for you, it'll be very cheap, and you'll only need to do it once.