Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Not going to give you a price...

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by DuaneDibbley, Sep 25, 2012.

1. I've just gotten off the phone to a few different dealers around Brisbane and greater area thisafternoon after a bike.

Of the 3 I called only one was happy to give me a price for the particular bike I am after. The other two basically flat out said they wouldn't give me a price other than list price unless I gave them a $500/1000 deposit over the phone then and there. "I'm not going to give you a price to go somewhere else and match it." said one mob.

What the **** is with that!? Is this a common thing? I've bought 5 cars and motorbikes over the last 4 years and have NEVER come across this attitude before.

I am seriously a bit shocked by this... Am I insane?
  2. Can't say I'm overly surprised. There's a lot of people now haggling on price on all sorts of things on the basis of having seen them cheaper somewhere else (something that's become more common now so many people have the internet on their phone).

Probably have more luck trying to negotiate either a better trade-in, some sort of deal on the first few services, or a few accessories than just trying for a straight price discount.
  3. It is common, and a practice taught to them by the so called sales professionals.
    They cannot get your signature on a bike on the phone. It's impossible.

Floor staff is down to very very minimal in most shops. A guy in the shop is that much closer to buying a bike...he is past the phone stage. And if there is only one or two reps...the phone will be last thing they get too.

And yup I think it's farked. I hate sales with a passion and am the worst at it.
  4. I bought my bike over the phone. Salesperson was happy to haggle, and once I said what I wanted with the deal, the haggling started. We met somewhere in the middle moneywise and accessory wise (which was what I intended). After I was happy with the deal, I gave my Visa number for a deposit, then signed the paperwork on the day I picked up the bike.

Maybe it helps to have an idea of what you want to pay, and then start below that and work up.

Obviously I found someone that knows how to do their job.
  5. I got that from Toyota dealers when I bought my wifes cage. Not uncommon.

Pick a dealership you trust and would like to go back to for after sales support first, then go back to them with a cash offer.

Buying new, a pack of w@nkers giving you 50 bucks off is not a better deal than paying the extra for a decent lot who you're happy to go back to for warranty, a chat, coffee, etc. A good store also knows this will lead to future sales so their not too hard to spot.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Yeah, this is pretty normal if your just ringing around asking for prices.

Jump on bikesales, work out what you think the price should be then call them saying sell it to me for this and I'll give you a deposit now, they'll either say no (then you know you went to low) or yes (and you've got a bike at a price you like).

Always aim to start off too low just to be sure.
  7. I am always more than happy to tell people what price a bike is and if they query it I ask how much they have been quoted elsewhere. If I can mtahc it or beat it then I will - pretty simple. A bike has a wholesale cost to buy and a margin to play with. I'd rather move a bike than pay the insane finance fee for it sitting on the showroom floor. The selling price must be in reason and the dealer must make some money for the business to be viable but I don't understand with dealers not giving you a price over the phone. How the hell are you supposed to haggle or even get someone interested in an item without a price??

• Like Like x 3
  8. Well, needed up putting a deposit on a bike with one of these dealers today.

Changeover ended up being $1500 cheaper than the other place :/
  9. Does anyone have any indication what haggling margins there are? Say a bike is listed at $10 000 as a used demo bike with 500kms, and I only want to haggle on price (no servicing or accessories), what would they drop it down to if I'm willing to pay cash?
  10. @aeou,

That is really down to the individual business too. If one business is prepared to haggle and one isn't, just see what the price is anyway. If I use my parent's business as an example then they set their prices fairly to begin with and don't tolerate haggling.

Some places don't and expect haggling, so they start higher to begin with, and may have a 'cash price' where the cost of things like finance fees aren't included. The prime examples here are the white goods retailers, 'cus they get on ACA, and then everyone thinks they're getting a bargain....
  11. Agree there is no point asking what percentage you can get off the asking price, as we don't know how much its been discounted already. Maybe the RRP on it if new is $15K and so $10K is a bargain and you should be calling up and getting a deposit down with no haggle, but if the RRP on the new bike is $10500 then there is probably room to move.