Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Not For Street Use

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by 2wheelsagain, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Now that I have my Rudbux I'm looking at spending some of it on a new can. However the potential units seem to have "not for street use" on them. :shock:
    Do all aftermarket cans say this? Do they say it for noise reasons only? How loud can a muffler be if the cat converter is still in the system?
    Anyone fitted a "Viper" CF can?
    Opinions and advice sought. :)

2. everyone i have had has this, but then tinted visors also have this stamp too :wink:
  3. The noise limit is 94dBA at half peak power rpm, measured with a noise meter located 1m from the tip of the exhaust pipe, at the same height, and at a 45 degree angle to the side of the bike that the exhaust is on.

Half peak power is not peak rpm. If your bike makes peak power at 10000rpm, but redlines at 12,000rpm, then half-peak-power rpm is 5000rpm.

I have an aftermarket exhaust on my streetfighter with a cat converter on it, and I measured its noise at 93dBA according to the measurement standards.

The bike will also have an EPA sticker on it somewhere which tells you what the stock bike is rated at. Mine says 94dBA @ 6250rpm, so my aftermarket exhaust is actually a touch quieter.
  4. It's mainly 'cos the manufacturer hasn't submitted an example for testing to any recognised standard and wants to avoid potential litigation when someone gets booked for having one. Most "Not for Highway Use" systems will be too loud to meet AS/BS/DOT/whatever standards but it's not a given.

Legislation in Australia varies from State to State but generally to be fully legal the system has to have an approval stamp of some kind. If you're caught with something that says it's "Not for Highway Use", you'll cop a yellow sticker and not have much scope for appeal.

In practice, I'd be prepared to run such a system as long as it wasn't too offensive (and remember that most four-strokes can be ridden quietly if needs be), but then, I don't get pulled over much (crosses fingers). I might think twice if I was a cop magnet.
  5. Just cross out the "not" with black texta & the pigs will never know.

6. Just keep your old pipes in case you need to go in for a test. In Qld, they can do a "rough test" in the field but for actual results you need to take your bike into machinery. Swap over before you take it in!

The worst offenders for loud pips are Harley's, but as they have no tacho, the cops cant do a field test on the noise at required revs!
  7. I think the rule of thumb is "tastefully loud" and whether it sounds cool. :cool:

Also, mad props to Triumph for releasing "off-road" exhausts for many of their bikes which look almost identical to the compliant exhausts. ;)
  8. Thanks guys.
    I'll have a chat to the retailer and probably go ahead with the Viper :grin:
  9. +1 I think anything other than standard is not roadworthy. Bikes don't get as much attention as loud cars here in victoria unless there is a roadworthy blitz on. If you keep the standard pipes, you can just re-fit if you get stopped or sell the bike and need a roadworthy. I was stopped with two brothers on my gpx loud as, wasn't even queried except to ask where i bought them from.
  10. Standard stuff. Most stock stuff should have an ADR stamp on it, thats how they know its legit and compliant. If it doesn't have that then its a possible defect point.

In practice, I'd just be a bit careful around town and change your mufflers when going in for a rego check. If you know the mechanic or are on good terms with one, you'll probably be right.

The CAT doesn't have a huge effect on the bikes noise as far as I know. Don't quote me on that, though. It does provide some flow resistance, however, so it may make the exhaust slightly quieter. If you're like me and only ever had one in the muffler, then its gone as soon as you replace it. Goodbye unwanted exhaust restriction :cool:

Cheers - boingk