Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Not everyone thinks motorcyclists are all bad...

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by TonyE, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Sometimes something happens that makes you feel good about riding a bike.

Sitting home late yesterday afternoon when there was a knock on the door. It was your genuine little old lady (well past her 70's). She was looking for an address in Brunswick and got confused driving around.

I looked it up and got her to follow me to the address a couple of streets away (her directions had told her to go the wrong way down a one way street which was why she got lost).

When I asked her why she knocked on our door she said since there was a motorcycle parked outside she knew she'd be OK. :)

2. In my car (real estate agent) I have a small Ulysses logo and one of my FarRiders logo's on the center panel. You may be amazed at the number of conversations that get started because of that of "oh I had a bla bla bike back in my twenties, wish I still had one" etc etc

There are lots of people about with strong memories of day gone by and motorcycles.

3. What a nice story, Tony. Of course, if she knew you like WE do... :LOL:.

4. Paul are you spreading vicious rumours :LOL:

5. Of course not - he wouldn't do that to a fellow Jimmy Buffett and Terry Pratchett fan... :p

Mind you, you never know with these religious types. :p :LOL: :LOL:

6. No, mate, I would never post something like that about someone I'd never met.

Of course, the fact that I HAVE met Tony........ :LOL:.

7. Ha, yeah that is a nice story Tony :)

Wow what a combo Daveo, a motorcyclists AND a real estate agent!!!

8. Duffman you say it like its a bad thing :grin:

9. Scary stuff - it could be worse. I had a weekend job as a bookie's penciller (calculating odds and taking the money) at country race meetings in SA in the late 70's.

My boss rode an old Norton Atlas - but as well as being a part-time bookie he also sold real-estate and insurance - and had a small used car yard.

(And his name wasn't Arthur Daley either :p )

10. Tony you are freakin me now.

I sold used cars in my early 20's at a yard in north w'gong (Paul it was the B&B Group) anddddd

I did 12mths of insurance about 1990

11. In my previous life, as a plain old boring cage driver, I led a quiet existence and went about my day to day business without any interuption from strangers or idle chatter at checkouts.
    Now I am a cool biker chic I am bombarded with conversation from strangers every time I step out of the house.

I don't know if it's because I am female and female bike riders are a novelty to most of the Joe public, or maybe it's the mohawk I sport ontop of my helmet, but not a day passes without a complete stranger starting up a convo out of the blue. People strike up a convo at traffic lights, some even wind down their windows and yell out as we travel along in traffic. The checkout chics always yak to me about the bike, aren't you scared, or cold, how do you get all this stuff home on your bike :LOL: I love your helmet/jacket, have you been riding long?
    Kids in prams always stare and tap mum to say.. look mum, a lady on a motorbike, the mothers always smile, I wave at the kids, it's all good.
    I even let the kids sit on the bike while mum/dad takes happy snaps with their phone. Tradeys in there toyota hilux's weave through traffic to catch up to see if I really am a girl and not some hippy bloke with long hair cascading out from under the helmet, then give me a thumbs up and big grin of approval as I zoom off into the distance.

My mum is 65, when she was a little girl, my grandfather had a motorbike with a sidecar on it. My mum would ride up on the tank and my Nanna would travel in the sidecar, with her head scarf tied under her chin.
    My mum has very fond memories of getting about as a young child on the bike as a family. Naturally that all changed when more siblings came along, but the nostalgic memories my mum has are typical of people from her generation. She tells me lots of families got about on motorbikes with sidecars back in the 40's, cars were for the rich people.
    So I reckon there is alot of 60 something yr olds and older, out there that relate todays motorcyclists with their own childhood experiences and that feeling of trust and security of an era since past that our society today seems to be lacking.

12. At least you keep moving up the social scale... :LOL: :p

13. That was also the case with my father. Rode a Triumph Thunderbird (mid 50s, bought new). Met the missus, the bike went for a two seater sports type car made by Singer. Then when I rocked up, it was forsaken for something called a Vanguard Standard. That wasn't new.

The old man owned 13 bikes. Never did get back into them after marriage came along. Pity...

14. My grandfathers bike was a AJS, from what mum remembers,
    even though she was only 4 or 5 yrs old at the time, she can still rememer
    the logo... little "A", big "J", and a little "S" painted in gold.
    I am trying to dig up a photo if I can find one, someone in the extended family must have one buried in a box of keepsakes somewhere.
    Mum tells me helmets were not a requirement and that my Grandfather wore a leather cap type thing with big goggles, I imagine he must have looked like Rocky from "Rocky and Bullwinkle" :LOL:

15. Well that explains a lot about the both of you. You both ride as though your bikes are turtles too :LOL:
    Did you listen to his lectures in Melb a few months back?

16. Missed that one - met him on a previous visit when he did a book signing at a friends' book shop.

17. Caz V1 - I'm hearing you on both the point about being a chick on a motorbike and the second one about Grampappy's motorbike.

I've actually got a pic that I'm going to scan and ask if anyone knows the model etc. Turns out that this bike was my grandpa's pride and joy.

Nice to know that my bike-bug is probably genetic :)

18. Paul can probably help with whatever it is. I think his first-hand knowledge of bikes goes back to the Book of Revelations (I'm sure one of the Beasts described there was a description of a Kawasaki Mach III :LOL: )

19. From actual bible scriptures it apears that Triumphs are the choice of the lord and his minions

So this is obviously why riders of early triumphs were alwys seen on the side of the road saying "Jesus Fukin Crist" as a pool of oil formed under the bike :p

But the son of God was not so cool, actaluy a bit of a nerd and a cage driver.

Not only that the bloody poof Honda cage driver tried to stop his mates riding a bike.

20. Haha classic Woodsy! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: