Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Not another Yamaha R6 vs GSXR 600/750 thread

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by stickers, Jun 16, 2012.

1. It's not, I hope.

In light of my recent write off, I'm in search of a replacement bike and have narrowed it down to the Yamaha and Suzuki or more specifically a 07 or 08 R6 and a 06/07 750.
    Before I continue, I have a little more up my sleeves than just a bike vs bike, which one is better on the street/track argument, etc.. will elaborate more later.

my other bike is a gixxer thou, so on one hand its more comfortable staying with something familiar, or venture into unknown grounds.

Reasons why I'm looking at the 750
    - It's another suzuki (might have a problem if the keys are identical, lol)
    - Same chassis as a 600 and only 2+kg heavier. reckon I could lose that extra 2kgs easily to compensate =D
    - Moar power! but not too much to make the thou boring

And the Yamie
    - It's a Yamaha.. always wanted one as they look much better than the Suzie to be completely honest.
    - smaller, more compact design? seems like a good bike to learn the proper fundamentals of track riding.

I'm not sure how much lacking in power the Yamie is compared to the 750.. and I feel bad ringing up both for test rides if I wasn't sure yet.
    Right now the bike would be used primarily for commuting and weekend spurs run, and the occasional track day, hence the little extra omph of the 750 sounds more desirable.

Thus any inputs from you guys, particularly those who have ridden either bikes before would be appreciated. Now for the real reason.. sort of

I'm thinking of starting out a couple of small projects on product design and have looked towards rearsets as my starting point. I plan to make a couple of prototypes and offer them to those willing to try it out in exchange for constructive feedback or a short review.
    Not really looking to start anything biz related right now since i'm just a uni student, but I'm looking more at the whole process of design from scratch including a little bit of simulation/FEA analysis and design verification experience which might come in handy in the future.

So.. i'm also looking, between the two, which bike is:
    - more versatile (since I'm starting on my own bike first, a bike that shares the same chassis/rearset mounting point for more number of years will effectively double or triple my target audience)
    - more popular among trackies and serious riders?

thanks for looking~ :)

2. Did you see Michael Dunlop's R6 at the TT this year eating up the opposition in the supersport class?

3. #3 stickers, Jun 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    nope I have not..
    the only vid i could find was back in 2011(?) [media=youtube]CC_5pVz3foU[/media] -
    couldn't make out the bike in front but seems like a more powerful one from the way it pulled on the straights.

hm, unusually quiet here though. where are all the R6 and 750 riders? 8-[

4. The difference is more than 2kgs between the bikes in feel because of the rotating masses are higher.

5. I saw Bruce anstey and Cam Donald ahead of him on CBR600's

6.  Top
    • Like Like x 1
  7. The R6 is an uncomfortable pig of a thing to ride with no power down low but is a balls out screamer above 12,000RPM

The GSXR has a less aggressive riding position and easier engine characteristics to live with on the street so would be better for commuting.

I'd have the R6 over a GSXR any day but thats just me.

Also why do you want another sportsbike if you already have a GSXR1000?

8. Just buy a Daytona 675 and be happy!
    Better roadbike engine than the R6 (more power and torque in more parts of the rev range) and more flickable than the 750.
    Best of both worlds!

9. As above, why is the 675 not being considered?

Pretty sure your criteria would be met in spades by that thing.

Cheers.

10. I sold my 09 R1 and bought a Daytona. Heaps better bike for the road, not that I dont miss the R1, but the trumpy makes more sense on the road.

11. CraigA - Blasphemy!!!!! ;)

12. I have considered the 675 and it's a real beauty. It's stance is more aggressive and race-bike like compared to the japanese bikes.. I don't mind the more uncomfortable riding position and taller seat. But as much as I would like to get one eventually, now isn't the right time unfortunately. :(

Just realised that the R6 does not have a steering damper (and gear counter, i always forget which gear I'm in). Does not having a steering damper matter at high speeds or on the track? I know you can always fit one in, but how important is it really?

my previous 600 didn't have a steering damper and I'm not sure if that's the reason why but when i try to quick steer the bike on the track, it sometimes feels a little unsteady and wobbly.

oh.. no one knows which of the two, gixxer 600/750 (2006 onwards) and R6 (2006 onwards) is the more popular model for the 'above average' rider?

13. I always thought the R6 was the most track focused, least road friendly of the supersport crowd?
    I know the gixxers and the Hondas aren't as aggressive seating wise but I found the R1 more aggressive than either of these and more uncomfortable than the trumpy to be honest. I don't know why as the trumpy is still slightly more aggressive, but perhaps the compactness of the riding position makes up for it.
    I would at least test ride one before discounting the triumph if you haven't already, to at least work out whether it should be included in your short list. Actually I would test ride ad many different bikes as you can.

14. If you get the Daytona, make sure you get the 675R model. Ohlins suspension and Brembo brakes?? WIN. Beats all other 600s.

15. I agree about the Daytona 675

if I had to replace my R1 I would look at it seriously

but dubious about its ability to shift my 110kg weight as well as a litre bike

16. is that so ?

well the results (Isle of Man Official results speak differently oh look he won by 14 seconds which in the Isle of man means as follows

1st .........................................Daylight...................................................................................................................................................................................................................more daylight.......................................................
    ............................................................cricket noises ................................................................... ..................tumbleweeds .........................................................................................................some honda :)

This is for race 2 in race 1 I believe he blew the engine

Monster Energy Supersport TT Race 2
    9 Michael Dunlop 600 Yamaha / Ard na Mara Holiday Homes / McAdoo Racing 01 13 17.76 123.543 Silver
    4 Cameron Donald 600 Honda / Wilson Craig Racing 01 13 31.02 123.171 Silver
    2 Ryan Farquhar 600 Kawasaki / KMR Kawasaki 01 13 50.37 122.633 Silver
    5 Bruce Anstey 600 Honda / Padgett's MMCG Racing 01 13 50.38 122.633 Silver
    1 John McGuinness 600 Honda / Padgett's MMCG Racing 01 14 01.46 122.327 Silver

17. I've had a 675 and a K9 750. Check my signature below and search on my Flickr page for pics of my 750 before and after I modded it.
    Both bikes were lovely but the 675 is by far a much more fun bike to ride.
    Light and flickable and with heaps of torque and power for it's size, it's a real winner.
    The 750 is a very comfortable bike for commuting on and you have some great power on tap. It is definitely more comfortable - less aggressive - than the 675 and whilst I didn't take the 750 to the track, I imagine it would be awesome bike to cut laps on.
    If you are doing trackdays then I would strongly suggest a steering dampener to stop those tank slappers.

If you want to ride a 750, send me a PM as I work for a bike store on the weekend and would be happy to talk about your options and you can also get your bum in a seat and ride one.

d

18. #18 Ljiljan, Jun 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    that there is the perfect advertisement for an r6.

19. Well, I watched it on TV and it was definitely supersports and it was definitely Bruce Anstey holding the trophy with Cam Doanld second by a poofteenth

This is what i was talking about: http://www.iomtt.com/News/2012/06/0...-thrilling-Monster-Energy-Supersport-win.aspx

So we're both right. Just talking about different races

• Like Like x 1