Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NOT an anti-cruiser post, but....

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by hornet, Apr 19, 2010.

1. I've had occasion over the last couple of weeks to be on the same bit of road as quite a few cruiser-type bikes, and it baffles me continually to observe the gymnastics and breath-holding most riders have to go through in the simple act of going round the gentlest of corners. The other Sunday coming down Macquarie Pass, perversely a favourite haunt of cruisers of all sorts, not just Harleys, a rider in front of us nearly pitched himself and his pillion into the bush when, at a very easy speed, he succeeded in both grounding his footboards AND bottoming out his suspension on the causeway just after the second hairpin. Seriously, I was looking for an escape route. The shower of sparks wouldn't have been out of place in a metal shop....

I know the lazy torque and the V-Twin pulse has its attraction, and, as I've said many times here, I reserve a final judgment on the whole 'cruiser' thing until I've ridden one, but I can't for the life of me work out the attraction of a device which takes away one of the main things for which a motorcycle is attractive, that is, going round corners.....

2. I frequently go on the coastal and inland highways south of canberra, and I have noticed that when motorcyclists are out on spirited rides, theres a worrying trend that the cruiser riders regularly run wide and even cross the centreline while Im coming along.

I mean, drivers do it too, which is why I give myself plenty of room, but when Ive seen bikes do it, its always cruisers.

3. Some people just like to be alone with the wind in their face.

4. Just try 1 Paul, changed my mind

5. something plenty of sports bikes do too. just the bike, not the person riding it. :-w

6. Though I'm not one, I'd imagine that cruiser riders buy into the whole cruiser lifestyle, rather than any particular functional/performance aspect of the motorcycle.

7. I'm sure comfort comes into it as well, not everyone cares about being hunched over and trying to go around corners on one knee.

8. Termis, I think you're wrong. A lot of people like the sedate pace and the chunky engine response. There are people who just love the image, but no more than sportsbike riders who love to look like cockheads... er... racerbois.

Different horses for different courses. I've ridden sportsbikes and cruisers and both are fun.

9. i keep a safe distance from the new shiny ones that only come out on a perfect sunny day, on the weekends... they can't ride for shit generally.

yep i agree.

Attached Files:

10. Hi,

I'm on my first cruiser, not a big one, a nice black Honda Shadow called Dee Dee .. It was a decision that I had to make, riding with my ankles tucked under my arse was becoming increasingly uncomfortably and I really didn't like the idea of the more upright touring bikes. I have to say the Shadow will not be my last cruiser, there is something about the way cruisers lope along the road and yes I agree you can't get your knee down on cruiser, but scraping the peg is "my" kneedown.
    I don't filter as easy as I used too, but I still commute 90km daily, and I can't throw it around roundabouts, but country cruising is where Dee Dee comes into her element, and she does that with ease, 500km rides with no aches and pains bloody brilliant, the sound she makes as she strolls along the back roads, and pulling out of corners in top gear to the sound of good pipes, almost makes you seep a little pants magic............ cruisers why not?

11. Some people just dont really care about windies/corners and testing themselves on them. Myself being one of those people. I ride because I like the feeling rather than needing to excite myself with stunts or testing my skill on motorcycle runs. I see why people would enjoy it, I just dont.

My cruiser is fat, low, with bad breaks and no cornering clearance. Im fine with it. It sits in a straight line like a rock, makes itself rather imposing, putting my foot down is a drop all of 3 inches, easier to make unique and it feels like an armchair with wheels to ride. Just what I wanted.

For everything else, such as shorter runs or more sensible for commuting, I have a big trail bike... which would beg the question, why dont YOU all of trail bikes for cities/traffic? Its thin as paper, high mirrors, high seat so you can see easily over cars, can be picked up easily, can ride up and over anything, cheap parts and just an ideal traffic bike.
    I dont ask that because I know that regardless of any particular performance of any particular bike, it just comes down to how you want to ride and what you find enjoyment in.

12. Hmmmm sounds perfect - I would chuck some road tyres on for better grip, but I think you might be onto something there.

Hey I think we just invented the motard! :grin:

I think I'll 'tard it at some stage if/when I wanna get ride of the sportsbike (which I imagine I will want to do eventually). In terms of cruisers, well I can imagine the appeal so long as you can still make it around normal corners reasonably. A more relaxed, comfortable way to see the world.

13. I've never ridden a sports bike but would really love to one day, maybe if I did, I would be a convert. But I ride a cruiser and love it, simply because the bike is small enough for me in seat height yet has a big 62hp engine. I can lean around corners without scraping and although I may not be as fast as the sports riders, am not concerned about that at all, I just go out and have a great day. Those that do scrape I feel have a design fault, obviously not made for twisties, and as for going wide, I've seen plenty of sports bikes doing that, its a matter of riding ability in my opinion and not the type of bike itself.

14. I don't ride a sports-bike either; you couldn't really call a 12 year old Hornet a sports-bike :p.

I'd be prepared to bet that I WOULD enjoy riding a cruiser if the opportunity presented itself; then it would be a matter of whether the pluses of that style of bike outweighed the pluses of riding a naked bike. Of course, if I was rich and famous, I'd probably want to own one of each :LOL:.

15. cos people can't drag pegs on a sportsbike, so buy a cruiser instead :LOL:

16. The idea of a 'tard is great, the only thing that I wonder about is engine life.

I don't know about cruisers though. A big capacity scooter would probably out perform one in every aspect (comfort, ground clearance etc)

17. Yeah, I reckon the maxi scooter is the ultimate "I don't give a f**k" kinda bike to get. They make so much sense...

18. I'm sorry to tell you this Paul, but the one thing that cruisers are really good for will forever be beyond your experience. That is, unless you are prepared to lower your moral standards....
    (nothing to do with being on the bike).

19. wicked man :rofl:

20. I've ridden with a number of cruiser riders who had no problem whatsoever in cornering at shall we say an enthusiastic pace.

I've also had sports bike riders on my side of the road either running wide or cutting the corner on more than one occaison.

I think it has little to do with the bike and a lot to do with the person riding it.

As for cruisers in general, I personally don't like them. I've ridden lots of them over the years, and anything that has a 'feet forward' riding position simply causes me pain.