Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Not a new rider, but developing new issues...

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by devonuto, Jul 10, 2007.

1. I've been riding on the road now for about 3 years, and last winter I laid my GIXAR6 down after giving a little too much throttle on cold tires mid corner trying to impress the friends. But ever since then (several thousand dollars later) I've found myself more and more wary about leaning the bike over too far.

I say this because if you look at my tyres, there is about an inch and a half of unused rubber which suggests I rarely lean the bike over far enough to actually use the whole tyre.

Previously I was a lot more keen (and comfortable) to take corners and the sort of speeds that would see me scuffing the toe of my shoe on the road from time to time, but of late have been overly cautious. So basically I was wondering if anyone else has gone through something like this, and what they did to get over it?

Another thing I've noticed is that I'm still not as comfortable on left turns as I am on right handers. I think it has something to do with when turning left (especially in traffic) you are constantly looking back over your right shoulder for merging cars, which in turn has taught me to stop turning my left shoulder into the turn as much, and I'm also not shifting my weight off the bike as much when going left.

Any tips would be nice as this has been annoying me for a while now, and is making my riding less enjoyable. I suppose if all else fails, I could go do an advanced riding course?
  2. After a drop of my zx9 i went and did a hotham run and came to restore my confidence,well mostly.Bottom line is if your not comfortable just go on a favorite peice of road that you know and slowly increase your lean angles.
  3. Four words brother: Californian SuperBike Cornering School...

Or crash on the other side.... (that works a treat! :grin:)

Or muscle your brain through the fear by understanding that you used to lean quite safely till you did it at an inappropriate time... so tell your fears to @#$% off and don't repeat the cold tyre hero move.

Or, work through your fears by doing strong slaloms any and every which where.... except for when it's cold and slippery... lol...

Or have a read of TOWT one or two hundred times and work through your residual SR's....

Or all or any of the above....

That's what I did.

...and if my finances allow, I'll be doing it all again at PI soon... following this little ooops --> https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29988

p.s. G'day Mal :)
  4. If you lean off the bike in a corner, the bike is less lent over. So leaning off = using less of the tyres edge.

If you aren't leaning out enough, the bike will be using more of the outer edge of the tyre.

So if you still have massive chicken strips, you still have ALOT more potential in the bike to corner faster.

Personally, since I started using my weight more effectively in corners, my chicken strips have grown much more (now that I'm more experienced, and going faster).
  5. a trackday?
  6. Get yourself on the Superbike school (or equivalent). You will understand more about the bike, how to corner safer and quicker, plus learn your own limits in a (relatively) safe evironment.

Since you have come off and have lost your confidence, you're probably tensing up every time you enter a corner, which is only making the whole thing worse. So the first thing to do is.... RELAX :grin:
  7. Sounds like a lot of the fear is financial. Buy a postie and go rip it up around the suburbs to get your mojo back. :grin:
  8. Thanks for the tips fellas...

My fear indeed seems to be wallet related, because I'm usually pretty fearless in most situations. The stupid thing is, I never feel like I'm about to slide, but I think the problem is I don't really know where the limit is. I just don't like the thought of the bike sliding out from underneath me again before I have enough time to correct the slide.

I think I'm going to go and do a course. I figure these courses are designed for these reasons, so they can't hurt.

Also, I do have to work on not getting so tight when cornering.
  9. The California Superbike School WILL sort you out. You'll have a controlled venue to re-find your comfort with cornering, and will probably extend beyond your previous abilities as well.
  10. Track day!

Do a few of them, then if you still have the same problem do the CSS school.
  11. Carpark sessions are the best way to get instant confidence. You're not dealing with high speeds so it's a safe way to chuck the bike about.
  12. Or just chill out and enjoy the ride!.

Think you will find that the edges get worn when you are just enjoying your favourite scratch road.
  13. I've been trying a few things lately, and it seems that when I get out onto a good stretch of road I go a lot better. It seems that when traveling along the same 15 minute stretch to work and back is not helping me.

On top of that, I've also noticed that I was sitting a lot more upright into corners, instead of getting forward and to the side of the tank. This is something I've been working on, and am slowly regaining my confidence.

I'm still thinking I might go do a track day at least. I would love to see how my bike goes out on the track anyway...