Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Not a Near Miss but a Near Hit

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by alan55, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Hi,

It's not all ways the nut behind the wheel you have to look out for but wildlife as well.

On Wednesday 14th Feb we had nothing better to do so we went for a ride to see dad. From Peterborough SA to Berri SA which is about 270kms. So far so good but on the return trip we had a little excitement.

Between Morgan and Burra I just saw one dead 'roo and missed that ok. A few km's up the road a 'roo came out of nowhere on the left. :eek: By the time I saw it I was on it and just missed it's tail as I went passed it. Only doing 110kms at the time. Not exactly my idea of fun, but it could have been much worse.

And they say things happen in three's.

Well the third 'roo was within 20kms of home casually hopping along the fence line. As soon as I saw it I moved right over to RH side of road til I passed it.

Oh! just out of interest... A Near Miss is actually a hit. A Near Hit is a miss. Think about it.

2. It's a matter of interpretation. If you ride down the road and pass a car, you missed it. If you passed it within 1 inch of it, it's a near miss :p
  3. Roos never indicate.:furious:
  4. The miss can be near or far, the near miss is worse than the far miss because it's nearly a hit, the far miss can easily avoid the hit. There is no far hit.
  5. A little good fortune never goes astray...:)