Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Not a miss :/

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' at netrider.net.au started by gongrider, Jan 18, 2011.

1. So I had my first motorcycle accident two days ago.

I was travelling home with some friends (housemate pillion with her partner) and we came to some heavy traffic and I ended up a few cars behind.

I moved into the right lane as it was moving a bit quicker. A little bit down the road I suddenly got notice that the car in front of me was stopping very suddenly. I went to brake and heard a tyre chirp and next thing I saw was the road coming up very quickly at the wrong angle and my mirror and other bits shooting down the road. After freeing my leg from under the bike I saw about 6 cars stopped (both behind and in front) and a bunch of people running to help. They took me off the road and someone moved my bike.

The very friendly couple who were behind me sat me down, and offered to get me water from the petrol station we were out the front of. I took up the offer and sat down to compose myself. I noticed my knee and left hip were a bit sore.

Within a minute one of those emergency response ambulances (ute with a canopy) came flying down the road, lights on and he got out and checked me over. A few layers of skin off my knee where the Kevlar jeans wore through and a graze on my side where the jacket rode up. He asked if I wanted to go to hospital, I said no as I wasn't too bad. The friendly couple offered to drive me home and also organised with the petrol station to store my damaged bike out the back.

Then a full size ambulance turned up, followed by a tow truck and a highway patrol car. The cop was very good about it, asked what happened, made sure I was ok and that I didn't hit anything else. Satisfied with my replies he went on his way. The driver who had stopped in front was also very friendly and asked if she could do anything. Turned out another car in front of her had braked very suddenly and set off the chain of events.

The friendly couple then drove me home which I endlessly thanked them for. They were genuinely concerned for me and offered no end of favours to help me out. I will have to send them something to thank them.

So my knee is pretty sore and I can't move my leg too much yet. My hip is sore and I found out yesterday my kneck and shoulder are sore as well. My right thumb also can't move a lot.

The bike didn't look too bad, broken clutch lever, bent gear selector, numberplate and rear blinker bent. Someone said they saw green coolant on the road but I didn't see that myself. Going to pick up the bike tomorrow and have a better look.

So I learned a couple of things: leave a bigger gap as much as possible, keep looking ahead and don't ride when tired.

I think I must have panicked and grabbed the brake a bit hard, causing it to lock up and down I went.

I've only been riding since August last year.

Now I'm just recovering hoping I'll be ready for a ride across Vietnam in 11 days time!

2. Sorry to hear that but glad all up you didn't fare too badly.

Heal up fast and be sure to read through the advice you have given before hitting the roads in Vietnam. Hope you're all good for the trip, have fun and be sure to give us a full and hopefully more enjoyable account of it.

3. Glad you were relatively OK and the damage wasnt too bad. Better get yourself check out though its better to be safe that nothing is broken and fracturerd.

4. Sorry to hear about your off, glad that there wasn't to many injuries, rest up and take it easy, health is most important. Sounds very similar to my off that occured 2 months ago, similar reaction i had, but slightly different circumstances. I injured my right leg and ankle as it was pinned under the bike as my front gave out. Hope bikes not too bad, mine just had minor damage, mostly fairings.

All the best :)

My off incase your interested - https://netrider.net.au/forums/showthread.php?t=117098

5. this sounds awfully like the traffic on the long straight at Albion Park Rail to me....

good to hear you're not too badly hurt, and thanks to friendly motorists, eh, not all of them are cursed cagers, are they?

6. That's exactly where it was!

Yeah, the motorists were all great. Good to know there's some friendly people out there.

7. Those people are awesome. They are so very kind for taking you home. Heal up fast and make sure you send them a cake or something.

I must ask: did you lose the front or back?

8. The front I believe, I remember going to grab the front brake then the bike dropping very quickly, pretty much instantly.

I was going in a straight line so I think if i locked the rear I would have stayed upright a bit longer.

All happened really fast so not much chance to understand the details of what went wrong.

9. Good to hear that you weren't badly hurt.

Practice those E-Brakes guys, often.

10. I do ;)
    Last 2 times I've actually locked the front - should I be shifting more weight forward or something?

11. As mentioned, practice hard braking. Get used to how it feels to lock the front and how to release and reapply the front brakes. Locking the front in a straight line doesn't mean you have to go down, but it is scary if you are not used to it and that can lead to mistakes which do make you go down.

Nitekeeper, try being more progressive with the brake lever. Locking up when you first apply the front can mean you are grabbing the brake too hard initially, before the weight has shifted forward.

12. i dont know what bike you ride,,on my old triumph i have set the front brake up so .it will not lock up the front wheel when lever is pulled in all the way in ,, if the road is wet or im on dirt roads. i ajust the lever even more so i can get max stopping without locking the wheels...i dont know if moden bikes can do this ?????i have drum twin leading shoes on front, and drum single shoe on the back,,,,it is verry important that you set your bike up so you have max brakeing with out locking the front wheel,,

13. A mate who is a very good rider, road and enduro, recently did a Vietnam trip. He said it was a great adventure, but his heart rate was constantly hitting the maximum, because the roads and riding over there was just so scary.

I suggest that you do get yourself checked out, and see how you go, but be prepared to pull the plug on the trip, much as it would be a shame. Perhaps confirm just how hard the riding will be, if you can.

14. I don't remember having time to unlock the front wheel because by the time I heard the tyre chirping i was already on the way down. Not sure how I managed it, I did have very little sleep the night before and shouldn't have been riding.

Checked the bike out properly today. Clutch lever housing will need replacing as the mirror mount has sheared off, headlight is slightly damaged (wasn't in pristine condition anyway), gear selector is very bent, left foot peg mount has a slight bend, left handlebar has a very slight bend, rear blinker is bent out of shape.

Radiator doesn't appear to be damaged and coolant seems to have come from an overflow somewhere while the bike was on its side.

Also got myself checked out, no broken bones! Some fluid on the knee and a bruised thumb. The graze on my knee is healing well. Should recover enough by the trip and the doctor didn't disagree with me going at all.

Up until this point I didn't have even a near miss and was feeling quite comfortable on the bike. I had done some hard stops but for whatever reason I mucked it up this time.

I plan to do a bit of a ride before we fly out to get a bit of confidence before we embark for a 2100km journey in some of the worlds craziest traffic.

No pulling out now, we've been planning the trip for at least 8 months and I can't wait. If I don't go I will regret it for the rest of my life, as I'm sure it's going to be a lifelong memory and story to tell.

15. go for it mate enjoy

16. Sorry, the way this reads is you have deliberately hobbled your braking power just because you are worried about locking the front. You're daft. I can't believe you just gave that suggestion.... Seriously dude, what world you living in? Its called knowing your bike and being able to control it. Clearly you don't know your bike and can't control it either.

@Gongrider: locking the front gives you next to no time to recover it. A back brake lock you can steer out of and will cause a crash less than a front lock. You might have been on a white line, you might have been over some oil, any of a thousand reasons could have caused you to go down instantly. But it sounds like it wasn't your fault (apart from following too close).

Go practise and remember to brake progressively. Grab firm, increase pressure and keep increasing steadily until the lever is against the bar, your back wheel is in the air and your sphincter is clenched real good :D

17. Hey thanks for this, I didn't explain properly sorry...
    The lock comes right at the end, after I set up and progressively squeeze - I probably slide about 1ft while I'm letting it out again.
    But I really expected the back should get lighter before that happened?
    It's a Spada and I'm not trying to stoppy, more like trying to match my technique to it's limits...

18. I've had the exact same experience gongrider, except I miraculously escaped without hitting bitumen. Exact same circumstances, except I heard a car about 2 ahead lock up its tires.
    My survival instinct kicked in and snatched the brakes, front locked up going about 50 down hill, I heard the squeel of my front and felt that millisecond where the bike was quickly disappearing from under me.
    Somehow, no idea how I trigged in so quickly, I let the brake level go and I felt the bike literally spring back bolt upright.
    Pulled off into a side street, checked my nappy, reset the killswitch (somehow I triggered that too) and I was on my way again.
    As you said, it all happens sooooo quickly you have no real idea what actually happened, only recollections and you fill in the gaps. I wish you a speedy recovery mate, you're going to love 'nam. Sooooo beautiful, I wish I could have done what you're doing.

19. Thanks for the replies guys. I definitely need to work on my e braking. Will have a bit of a ride again before the trip to ensure confidence.

There may have been oil or something on the road, the lock up did take me by surprise, but in any case modulating the brake and being more progressive would have prevented my crash.

Driving seems to be the best thing for my knee, working the heavy clutch in my car makes my leg work a lot better afterwards ;).

ABS definitely seems worthwhile to me now!

Can't wait for Vietnam! Fly out in a week and will start the trek the following Tuesday.

20. Hope you're enjoying Vietnam.

If you're even slightly off balance when you lock the front, the bike will tilt/drop pretty quickly. Practice practice practice :)

Check your tyre pressures are correct (via manual or sticker on the bike) as too high a pressure reduces traction, too low effects steering. Also, it's amazing the difference a decent set of tyres will make.