Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Normal for your chain to jump?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by rcheli32, Oct 4, 2013.

1. I lubricated my chain today and decided to run it on the paddock stand for a bit. I noticed the chain jumping in a strange way like it wasn't aligned perfectly on the front sprocket. Is this normal, just because there was no load on the chain?

2. My first reaction is no load on the wheel.

if you are really concerns take thew chain off and check the links
  3. Thats normal, dont worry about it.
  4. Any chain drive with no load on it will flap around a bit. See what happens if you drag the back brake a fraction to keep some tension on the top run of the chain. If it all smooths out (and I suspect it will), everything's dunky-hory.
  5. Great idea about putting some drag on the back break. I wonder if the ABS will go spaz though.....
  6. yeah its normal

make sure you have the correct tension and keep it clean and lubed
  7. It's caused by slight inconsistencies of combustion in the cylinders of the engine (perfectly normal, and impossible to eliminate). This leads to a slight unevenness in the rotational speed of the engine, which then gives the chain a bit of a yank, causing the wheel to speed up to more than the "average" speed, pulling the bottom of the chain momentarily, causing it to flick up. It's perfectly normal.
  8. my bike does that because when the rear is lifted by the paddock stand it causes the chain to rest on the plastic guide on the swing arm

if you look your bike is doing the same thing...

lesson to this story, dont run the back wheel when its in the air or you risk damaging the chain and plastic guide (yes i know the plastic is there to protect the swing arm from the chain but why chew up for no reason)
    • Like Like x 1

9. +1

your wheel is unloaded, so the chain will flap a bit, which is fine.

10. You, sir, have just put my mind at rest.

My chain and sprockets are about 1000kms old now and have been treating them with love (cleaning and lubing every 300km or so - overkill, i know).

Yesterday I was cleaning the chain and noticed it sitting on the guide on the top of the swing arm close to the front sprocket. I noted to myself how crap it was that it's getting so loose so quickly, then checked the bottom part of the chain and she was fine (about 20mm play).

Thought I had tight spot already - but your post makes COMPLETE sense.

I thank you, good sir.
  11. No probs. :)

To set the chain tension, it's best to put it into gear (engine off, of course), then pull down on the back of the rear tyre (straightens the top of the chain), then check the slack at the bottom. This is, of course, unless your bike's manual says to leave the top slack.