Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Noobie question.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by hph, Oct 31, 2006.

1. I've booked in to the stay upright course in a few weeks. I'd ridden automatics while travelling in asia, but zilch on a manual. Looking ahead if and when I pass my Ls (fingers cross) :p is a cruiser ok as a learner bike for practice and P test ?

I quite like the gv650 , gv250 and kawa el250. I'm 5'8 and weigh 76kg would the gv650 be too big for me initially.

Sorry if the questions appears ignorant :oops:

2. Crusers are a little more of a biatch to manouver but have a lower center of gravity so are easy to ballance (at low speed).

There is definetly nothing wrong with a cruser as a learner bike. It is just a diferent way of traveling.

3. Fat, lazy and relaxed. They're a nice ride, I like them.

Had a Virago for a while, and there great.

The GV650 would be good because you can dr-restrict it when you want and keep the bike longer. I'm about 5'9 and 74kg and it felt fine to me, but it has to do with body shape and what you like.

You'll be fine with you'll L's course, it's easy as. It's the P's course that you need some skill to get through. Mate did the course on a Virago, just have to scrap the pegs.

4. If you rock up for the ps test with a cruiser, they'll probably admire your effort and give you some slack when it comes to the weaving, uturns etc etc. I mean I have a fat fairing on my zzr250 and 5.8 m is supposed to be its uturn diametre, and you get 6 for the test, so its damn hard to do. Don't know how much harder it'd be on a cruiser, but you'd hope they'd think to themselves 'he can ride, the bike just physically cant do this stuff' and pass you.

Don't be detered from the type of bike you want to get just because of a test. Worst comes to worst u can borrow/rent a cb250 for the test.

5. Trust me, i thought exactly the same way when i booked in for my P's. However, i practiced by marking out the u-turn bay on a cul-de-sac near me and practised repeatably. Then when i did the u-turn in the P's test i only used about 3/4 of the u-turn bay.

6. Hmmm thats probably the first positive thing someone's said about zzrs with the MOST test, so thanks. Yeah a couple of guys around my area are trying to organise a time where we can all practice this with the added benefit that others can see what we're doing right and wrong and give feedback, rather than flying solo as it were. Really would like to pass on my own bike..

7. Yeah you'll be fine with alittle practice. Just remember to ride the clutch on the friction point and hold constant throttle (like your taking off) and use the rear brake to slow you down. What ever you do DON'T roll off the throttle to slow down if you going too fast. The throttle chop of rolling on and off will un-balance the bike and make you put a foot down. If you feel like the bike is going to fall over then release a little rear brake.

Also make sure to look RIGHT over you shoulder....NOT infront of you.....NOT to the side of you......NOT at the ground......NOT and the edge of the u-turn bay hoping to miss it (you'll hit it doing this)......BUT right over your shoulder back up and out of the u-turn bay exactly where you entered it from.

Do this and you'll be in, out and have easily cleared the u-turn with no trouble.

What i think you should practice the most is the off-set cone weave. This is by far the most challenging thing on the P's test. It might sound easy but trust me it's not. Set it out and try it.....you'll be surprised how difficult it is. It requires very good low speed balance and control of a bike while keeping your feet up on the pegs, which IMHO is the most difficuly aspect of motorcycle riding.