Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Noobie needing some advice

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Bee, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Hello all ,

Its been a month+ since i have taken my baby out ( thanks to a very close call/ almost running into the side of a car going back up my apt. car park ramps ) . Took my bike out tonight for an easy ride and slowly getting the hang of things again withiot crapping my self ..as much .

The biggest challenge that i'm facing to date is my car park ramps ( its probably the easiest thing to tackle but for some reason its like looking down a gun barrell for me :/ ) i rode passed the first ramp ..fine , got to the second one ..the bike stalled for no reason in the middle of the ramp on an angle ..being a err vetically challenged girl supporting a heavy bike on an angle when your feet barely touches the ground is a verrry hard thing to do . Didnt know what to do so i slammed on the break , clutch in and throttle the heck out of my way whilst slowly letting go the clutch ..the bike stalled again and again [emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35] ( yes its probably the users fault! and probably fckd my bike up in the process ) .By the end of this ride ..first time ever my wrist hurts like hell [emoji19]

I am in the process of getting a mentor from NR to hopelly work all the other kinks out .

If anyone can shed some lights / advice on my situation ..i'd really appreciated.

/end rant from a very frustrated girl.

2. Assuming your bike is running ok it won't stall for "no reason". Either your revs are too low or your clutch lever isn't adjusted right could be the cause. Why not practice your hill starts on some gentle slopes, up and down, use the foot brake, if you aren't already. It's just practice. And just as a favour to me call it a brake.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. You didn't happen to have your stand down? What bike do you ride?

4. drjay555 - stand was up - was riding back up to my car park area, riding r15 at the moment.

Mcsenna - Thank you ,will be doing some more practice and i really need to use the foot brake more often.

Woops yes, brake [emoji4]

5. #5 iClint, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
    Make sure you are in first gear.

If you were in second and not holding enough revs the bike stalls, then every time you go to take off the bike stalls as it doesn't have enough tourque to pull a hill start in 2nd.

Stomping on the shifter may not be enough to put it into first if the gearbox is loaded. On a hill the easiest way to get back into first is
    - hold the front brake and clutch in,
    - right leg down to hold you up
    - keep your left leg pushing down on the shifter
    - now let the front brack off a tiny bit until the bike starts to roll back
    - with pressure on the shifter you will feel/hear the bike click down into first.

Now go back to your hill start
    - left leg down to hold you up
    - right leg on the rear brake
    - right hand on the throttle, no need to use the front brake as the rear brake is holding you
    - now give the bike some revs, don't be shy
    - let the clutch out slowly until you feel the bike squat down a little bit, remember lots of revs
    - let the rear brake go slowly
    - now you should be moving up the hill easy off the throttle a little and let the clutch all the way out

If you are a little short you will be more stable with on leg down and the bike leaned in the direction of the leg you have down until you can flat foot it, much more stable than on your tippy toes.

The above is a lot to take in, and why you need to practice it, even break it down into smaller components until you get each part right.

Practice taking off while holding the rear brake on and your left leg down on level ground until you feel the bike squat* down a little before letting off the brake until you have it mastered.

Next practice just stoping on a hill, your car park would be good, ride up the ramp until your rear wheel is just off the level ground, stop and hold the bike with the rear brake and left leg down, then just gently roll back down onto the level ground.

Once you have stopping and holding your self on the hill and you feel nice and stable, add the taking off part into the mix as well.

It's some real pat your head and rub your bell stuff, it's important to learn as you will use it a lot out on the road and will make the difference between looking like a bumbling noob instead of a real pro.

* When i say squat, this where the bike try's to take off while you hold it with the rear break, because the rear wheel can't turn the chain starts to pull on the suspension and you will feel the bike "squat" or lower itself a little.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Bee,

An R15 (I've got one and I’m a noob too) is reluctant to change gear when stationery (probably most bikes) and you'd have to be in 1st for a hill from stopped. Very much doubt you'd have hurt your bike. These little bikes have a wet clutch i.e. lubricated with oil, so slipping the clutch when taking off and going up ramps isn’t going to wear it out for a long time. “repeated stalls” probably means you weren’t giving it enough beans to hurt it either.

Taking off up a hill does make a big difference to clutch & throttle even in a car with heaps more power and isn’t that common a situation so this isn’t a fail but a very common learning experience. Doub’t it’d be second nature to many.

I come out of my bike shed onto a steep drive straight in to a right turn and more narrow steep drive. I go the whole way (20m?) slipping the clutch in 1st as you need more revs for the hill and letting the clutch fully out would be waaay too fast and maybe an out of control wheelie worth posting on youtube :wideyed:. As you let the clutch out if the revs start to drop twist on more throttle rather than pulling the clutch back in.

Iclint has said it all, but maybe start on a flat spot and muck around with slowly letting the clutch out and in and using the throttle to get used to what you can do to top the revs dying and slowly letting the clutch out while slowly feeding on more throttle. Then on a hill it’s just more throttle and it may have to be a fair bit of throttle ‘cause one thing the R15 doesn’t have is power.

I do remember on my HART complete beginners course that the instructor once said to let the clutch out so slowly on take-off that you’d have covered something like 10m before it was fully engaged – Honda VTR with a wet clutch too.

7. LOL. I love how the girls get really good advice & tips while the boys get told to use the 'Search' function or HTFU!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1

8. Does someone need a hug?

9. And at the risk of sounding like Oprah - relax, be calm, and it gets a lot easier!

10. You mean a "struggle cuddle"?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hi iCLint ... great info ... thanks ... it's good advice that I can use as well. Cheers HarryO

13. ditto :) to above

14. First of all relax! We all have been here before :)
    second practice slow riding by using only your clutch, throttle and rear brake. This will not only help you with your confidence but riding and being able to stay all and understand your bike better.
    Try to practice on smaller hills and don't be afraid to use more throttle as you are going uphill.
    As I Clint suggested follow the steps and you should be fine.
    Best if luck and If you have and dramas pls ask

15. IClint - thank you for the great tips and advice , it is a lot to take in but it will all sink in with lots and lots of practice =D
    Al_Cam - hahahaha wheelie never going to happen :ROFLMAO: Yeah i agree the r15 lack power but again it is my first bike and wanted to focus on building my skills and techniques ..maybe just maaaaaaybe one day when i grow an extra 20cm i'll get a bigger bike ( and i dont know jack about bikes at all .. :p )
    Chillibutton - nothing wrong with oprah (y) -
    s1000rider - I freak out ALOT!:dead: It'll take me some time to understand my bike better and thank you :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. No problems at all. Also remember that you are not alone and that all of us were here in one way or another.

Keep working at your fears and you will enjoy your ride even more 8)

• Like Like x 1
  17. A little late, but I would add a couple of things to iClints advice

Selecting first I would do as iClint said up until rolling back. I wouldn't do this and there may be some situations where you can't, for example on a road where there is a car stopped very close behind you. Instead I would slowly ease the clutch out to the friction point while keeping pressure down on the gear lever and the lever should snick in. Remember I said slowly and only to the friction point, not all the way to the take up point or the bike may stall again. This advise isn't limited to hills but also to any time you are struggling to get first like when stopped at lights.

I would simply add two things to iClints advice on hill starts. In terms of giving some revs, you need to give a few more than a start on the flat but you don't need to ring the tits off it. Just a bit more than usual, not screaming. And finally use your ears. You can tell then the bike is on the friction point because you will hear the revs drop a bit as you load the bike. That is when you can start to come off the rear brake as you also slowly let the clutch out.

I don't think anyone commented on the sore wrists which got a mention. If it is only your left wrist, it will be from using the clutch. Holding the clutch in is using muscles that you don't use much before riding and they are sore from the workout. Don't worry they will build up and as you gain experience you will probably spend less time holding the clutch lever in. Either way the problem will go.

If both wrists are sore you are probably gripping the bars tightly. This is bad. The bars are steering devices not handles to keep you on the bike. Try to relax your grip as a tight grip interferes with steering. If you find you are gripping tightly, force yourself to relax and flap your elbows to reinforce this. If you drive a car you probaly only rest your hands lightly on the steering wheel not grip it to death. You should do the same on the bars of the bike.

18. Lots and lots of great information and tips in the noob section in NR. A must read for all budding riders. Going for riding courses is invaluable too. Then it's just practice.

Gripping the tank with the thighs allows light arms to steer which 'allows' the bike to stay upright and prevents that 'death grip'.

'Training' your eyes not to fixate and using your peripheral vision is one of the best lessons I learnt.
    Cheers and happy riding!

19. GreyBM - thank you so much for the advice , Slowcoach and i focused on the friction point, building my confidence and take off today so hopefully i can get that down pat soon with lots of practice . As for the sore wrist ..i stress my self out too much on unecessary things ( working on that ) and getting my lever change soon - small hands and the current lever is too far out from the throttle .

DrJay555 - I have read up on them but im more of kinetic learner so getting my self a mentor has definitely helped me out alot and understand what and where i have gone wrong with the techniques . Will definitely keep practicing alot more and TURN MY HEAD ( something that i dont do as often as i should !! ) hahahha !!!

• Like Like x 1
  20. So how's the riding coming along BeeBee?

• Funny Funny x 1