Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Noobie: Centre/service stand where from, what kind?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by randy_rider, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Hi,
    My bike (91 Yamaha Zeal/fzx250) only has a side stand.

I need to get a centre/service stand so I can lube the chain..etc.

What kinds have riders tried or used? Comments?

Is there any I should avoid??

2. Milk crate and a mate with big shoulders...
  3. hold it up with one hand and spray chain lube with the other
    that's how my girlfriend does it.
  4. Ha! Hold what up with one hand?
  5. I use a car jack angled onto the swingarm :wink:
  6. Anderson is the go

Guys and gals, give me a break, it was a sensible question!!
    Get yourself an Anderson bike stand, easy to use even if you are by yourself, readily available from most bike shops, and they have the added advantage of being able to be used all the time, not just when you want to lube the chain. There's a body of opinion that you should always stand the bike level (on centre stand or an Anderson) because the oil stays level in the sump and the outer bearings are not dry on start-up, exp in colder climes when the oil is thicker.
    (I have a Hornet 600 with no centre-stand, and I use an Anderson in the garage)
  7. Well centre stands can b quite pricey so what i do now i put a few bricks with a cloth over it under the headers underneath the bike with the side stand still down. Its very stable.
  8. Stick... I have been using a stick yep just a sick... well a thick one... but a stick... the stick trick does not work on a VFR... (I took my center stand off on the VFR)

Seriously... with a 250 you can manage with a pice of 2x4... park on level ground... push the bike from the right side till the rear lifts up a bit and stick the stick under the swing arm.. for added safty put some rubber bands on your front brake... or if you can hang your bike...