Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Noobie and loving it.

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Roscoe, Sep 26, 2006.

1. G'day all,

Thought I'd introduce myself. Four weeks ago I undertook the HART 2 day course in Melbourne, and around two weeks later invested in a new 2006 Hyosung GT250 bike with appropriate gear.

The driving force behind getting a bike was public transport, and my absolute hate of it. Around 18 months ago I started work in Melbournes CBD and had to take the train as we're a one car family.

Over that 18 months it got to the point where I was leaving home at 6:30am and arriving at work around 7:45am. As I was riding the train I started to notice more and more bikes, until it got to the point where I was actively looking at bikes and decided to take the plunge.

I waited for the start of good weather and did the HART 2 day course. I was blown away by the course, the instructors were great and I was amazed how I progressed. The first day was lovely, sunny and enjoyable, the second day was wet and nerve racking. But after doing the exam (and locking the front wheel in the emergency stop) I passed.

The next week I spent half a day at Peter Stevens in the city. I was going for the Honda CBF250 but decided it was to small after sitting on the Hyosung GT250. I tried on all the gear and got a final quote.

Off I went to my bank and the next day they gave me a pile of money which I in turn gave to Peter Stevens.

After riding the back streets around my home for a week I decided last week to ride to work. I left home at 7:am and arrived at 8:15am. That was okay, I got lost and I was riding slow. By the end of the week I was leaving home at 7am and arriving at 7:30. A nice saving of 40 minutes in the morning and another 30 in the afternoon.

I love the fact I can park on the footpaths. I'm mindful of not ticking off pedestrians so they don't make any complaints. Riding home is great, as I live in Laverton so I go under the Westgate and home via Williamstown... I go along the water front and really enjoy the cruse.

Anyway just wanted to introduce myself... here are some pictures :)

[IMG:1600:1200:c4cea8f1b2]http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/4850/dscn6252fj7.jpg[/img:c4cea8f1b2] [IMG:1600:1200:c4cea8f1b2]http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/3948/dscn6261iw6.jpg[/img:c4cea8f1b2]
  2. Ooooh, that's the new one with the black frame!!!! Verry schmick looking.

Oh, and welcome to Netrider...
  3. welcome, now you too when stops (after filtering to the front) can stop and stare at all the zombies in their coffins...... :LOL:

seeya at a coffee night

cheers stewy
  4. Nice pics. Anyway welcome and enjoy your stay.
  5. Yeah, great pics, and a nice looking bike
    Welcome to the friendly forum, Roscoe; hang around with Netrider and in no time you'll be a coffee addict (if you're not already) :LOL:
  6. Welcome and noice looking bike too :)
  7. not a bad lookin bike... i ride from fairfield to sunshine on a daily and i save around 30 mins.. with the show around 45 compared to a car it's great
  8. Nice bike.

You picked a good place to be if you ever need advice or just like-minded people to talk bikes with.

9. Nice, I thought the GT250 was faired? :p
  10. The GT250R is but not the GT250. If all goes smooth with the GT250 I might even move up to the GT650S, though that is a while away yet.

If work isn't bad I'll be heading down to the Williamstown coffee next week as I'm only 10 minutes down the road at Laverton.
  11. welcome Roscoe...very nice bike...I am looking at the same at the mo...I am in Hoppers ...hopefully we can ride together in a couple of weeks ...(going for my Ls this weekend). Oh...I work in the cbd also.
  12. sounds like the same reason I also finally made the decision to get my license. half of every week seems to be made up moving to or from, waiting for (delayed), sitting on, public transport, and I'm sick of paying to be inconvenienced!
    Connex can take their "apologies for the inconvenience" and shove it. ;)

On a happier note, that is one sexy bike. How much it cost new?
  13. Great looking bike! Welcome....
  14. Welcome, look forward to seeing you out on the road or at a coffee night.
  15. I know a nice easy way to get in to the city from Altona Meadows which goes out via Williamstown, up north under the bridge and in via Footscray Road. Happy to show you the way, and there is bugger all traffic (except for Footscray Road).

When all was said and done I didn't get much change out of $8,000. But that included all my gear, the bike, delivery, insurance, rego etc.
  16. Congrats Roscoe, on your licence, bike and taking up riding. Hope you enjoy them all
  17. That's not a nice thing to say, stewy.. I have to be zombies a couple of days a week... :LOL: :LOL: just kidding...

Sound like the same reason why I am on the bike.. nice bike btw.