Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

1. Hi all,

Just a quick introduction: I'm a noob here (and on the roads in NSW, although with a full car license).

Thanks for all the tips people have been giving in this forums!

A little story for all to laugh at or pity:

I had just passed my L's a couple of weeks ago. It went pretty smoothly for me - no dropped bikes, no scrapped knees, not even a stall...

At the advice of some of my friends and colleagues who ride regularly (read: commute daily), I went ahead and bought a spanking new Suzuki GS500F after some research on the 'net (good position, higher up than a CBR250, slightly more natural position leaning forward than the CB250s). Bought the correct gear with the lot (good helmet, gloves, Draggin' Jeans, jacket, spine protector, knee pads - hey, I'm paranoid).

Took delivery of the bike on Monday, as the store was closing. The staff were nice enough to show me the workings (cool that the turn signal indicators are "momenterary switches" that get cancelled with a inward push). I suited up, but was nervous as all hell.

Put gloves on. Forgot to put on helmet. Took gloves off [edited]. Put helmet on. Put gloves on. Mounted bike (it was already started). Lifted kick stand. Still in neutral, changed footing to put left foot down, right foot on brake just for a feel.

Unfortunately, the bike was sideways (rear to kerb) on an incline. The bike leaned a little, and I wasn't prepared for the weight. To cut the story short, the bike went down, with traffic right in front of me. Worst still was that as it was going down, my hands were still on the handle bar - and I revved the bike trying to grip the thing upright.

I suppose the bemused cagers stopped at a traffice light right in front of me were trying not to laugh out loud. Hit the kill switch, righted the bike, then checked it. Fairing was slightly scratched, but worse was the fact that the handlebar clutch lever had broke.

End of story: went home with my partner in the car, with her nagging all the way back (she wasn't too inclined to let me ride in the first place); the next morning, the bike shop staff were kind enough not to laugh in my face - I hadn't moved AN INCH and the bike was back in the workshop!

At least I learned: stay upright at all times, and hit the kill switch if its going down. If it had been in gear, I couldn't imagine the consequences (probably the bike would have come out from under me and hit the stationary van right in front of me).

So, I'm not too sure if it's correct advice, but for the (other) noobs: if you feel the bike going down, hit the kill switch!

Feel free to laugh: I'm used to it by now, but pity me too! :)

Sigh, my confidence was zero to begin with - now it's in the negative. When I pick up my bike, I'm getting my colleague to ride it back for me - and I'll probably give the first 50km in my back yard before I'm brave enough to give it another go on the road.

[Edit: grammer]
  2. Keep at it. Where in NSW are you? Some of us Sydney riders happy to give a hand. I did all my initial riding in the driveway and then the back streets on a quiet afternoon. Build up the confidence and then go further afield. Then do a couple of hundred (or more) K's in traffic and come on a NSW learner ride. Then you get to find out what real riding is all about.
  3. Hey Karl,

Thanks for the advise - it's probably what I will have to do. I'm situated near the city. Gotten the bike as a means to skip the lousy public transport system (buses near my place run a half hour apart after hours) to and from work.

I'll definitely see if I can join in once I'm up to scratch!
  4. ""Hadn't moved and inch and it was back in the shop.""

Thanks for the laugh :LOL: :LOL: .

And that's what you will be doing in a few weeks and very time you tell the story. :LOL:
    I got my GS500F delivered to my house ,because I was worried about doing what you did. :oops:

Congrats on the new bike ,the GS is a great bike to learn on and it can do it all commute ,do the weekend rides with the guys and you can pack it up and go away for a few days. :grin:

And like Karl said ,stick to the back road that you know and take your time .....just practice the little things like up and down gears and learning to stop quicker .

see you out on a ride soon.

5. aah mate don't worry about it- now that you've dropped it you've got it out of the way.

With my first bike I dropped it when it fell away from me as I walked it around to the front of the house to show it off to my mate. Embarrassing!

Then a few weeks later i dropped it at a Stop Sign when my shoelace got caught in the gear shift lever, and then I forgot to put my foot down after freeing it! I fell over right in front of a car in the queue behing me, who just went around me!

So don't feel too bad - it takes a bit of time, and a few stupid mistakes, to get the hang of things.
  6. I did the same thing not two weeks after getting my first bike (GSX750F) after waiting 25years to get it. :LOL:
    I came up to a stop sign on a hill with a left hand incline and found out when I put my left foot down the ground level was 1/2in lower... needless to say, I went over and rolled straight into the flower bed on the footpath. I tried lifting it up but being a newbee it was just to dam heavy (not to mention having no lifting techique at all), luckily a fellow biker saw it and stopped to help me get it back on its feet and then took off again as fast as he stopped (who was that masked man...).
    Don't let it stop you! we've all been there at some point (albeit not as instantly as you I'd guess).
    Have fun and stay upright is the mantra to remember! :grin:
  7. When I poicked up my bike, like every1 else I was so nervous. Fortuantely for me, the bike shop I got mine form has a railway station car park behind it. However, the bike people in their ultimate wisdom put hte bike out on Maroondah Highway.

I then needed to ride the bike the 200 mtrs to the back of the shop. Got aroudn the first corner, but as I about to go around the second corner, I did the noob thing and looked down at the gutter. Sure enough, the bike started leaning over and Icouldnt believe the weight of it. Couldnt keep it up so laid it down.

Fortunately for me the only damage was a bent gear level. Was able to bend it back when I got home, but was so embarrassed.

Just wait until you drop it going around a bend at 80kph. not so much embarassing as painful.
  8. Well, I'm sorry to hear you've dropped you brand new bike. That's gotta hurt! My 2c is FRAME SLIDERS! Since you went for the 500 F and you're a learner, those would be a good investment. Specially if you plan on parking her horizontally again! :p
    Also known as Oggy knobs (after one of the manufacturers) this little piece of equipment can definitely help you protect your, hmmm... pride! :wink:
    Look into to it and good luck!

Ps: I'm sure your better half you love your bike too once you learn how to get along with her (the bike! :LOL: )!
  9. Haha, thanks for the tip - I knew about the Oggys, but because its a GS500F (with fairing), I'll have to cut holes in the fairing to put 'em on. Confirmed that with Promoto (the distributor) today. Sigh.
  10. +1 Mr Ed,

Congrats on the bike... Personally I would have recomended a second hand Learners Bike so the little falls you have or may have (like the one you mentioned) don't hurt as much.

By the way, when you grow in confidence and are starting to really use the GS500 to it's full potential or at least high speeds... remember it's air Cooled not water so take it easy and let it cool down a bit :wink:
    you never know what could happen
  11. Hi browny,

Was thinking about second hands as well, but I've had massively bad experiences previously with a 5 year old Holden Vectra... And I'm not what you would call savvy with a wrench... So...

Anyway, whereas I do know this is probably counter to some/most motorcyclists' thinking - I hope I don't get to that stage where I want to speed. I'm really in for the commute, not really the thrills - reading some of the stories, near-misses and outright crashes have got my really apprehensive and nervous - which was probably why the bike shop's so pleased to sell me all their more expensive protective gear. Sigh. :)
  12. hahahahahahaha !

well enough laugh, lol, still cant get it out of my head.

well mate,

no. 1 ur allrite
    no. 2 u learn
    no. 3 that was a real story, i bet you can keep telling the story to ur children, their children, their their children and none of them will get bored of it. lol.

honestly tho, you were probably too excited thats why.
  13. :rofl: :rofl:
    Laughin with you not at you.
    Dont Stress mate, no biggie. Will make for a great story by the fire :p

How many times have I done that myself ! :-w
  14. Thanks, all of you, for sharing your stories unabashedly!

Withnail: I remember getting my shoelace(s) getting caught in bicycle cogs enough times to ensure I bought proper riding boots!

Anyhow, I suppose the question now is "to cut or not to cut" (the fairing, to install the Oggys, that is!).

I'm calling the shop up later today - hopefully they'd have got the replacement lever in and fixed it up, otherwise I'll have to bother my colleague again another day!
  15. I dropped my bike about 2 minutes after I picked it up too and broke the clutch lever. I didn't need to hit the kill switch though cos it stalled as soon as I dropped it :) lovely boys at the bike shop repaired it free for me.

However when I dropped it again straight afterwards and broke the front brake lever, they charged me for that heh

Oh, good times.

BTW I think it's commuting that makes me speed, and not random rides! :)
  16. :shock: What a complete scumbag! I guess there's no limit to how low cagers will go... :roll:
  17. OK, so I managed to get my bike after a week in the repair shop waiting for a replacement clutch.

Went with a friend who was an experienced rider who was kind enough to spare the time to help me.

So he pillion'd me to the place and he rode my bike back to my place while I took his scooter.

All was well - reached my home, he told me my bike was running on fumes, we both rode to the nearby petrol station where he taught me how to pump petrol (no spillage due to corrosive nature of petrol, centre stand to keep bike straight, etc).

Then I had to park the bike in the underground garage at my place. It had a rather steep small rise on the entrance end, about the height of a table and run-up of about 3 meters, then a rather steep incline the other end stretching down for one storey (it is a basement carpark after all).

My friend was kind enough to block the sensor to prevent the garage door from coming back down, but I stalled the bike three times trying to get up the incline.

Seems I'll be practicing a lot more on the other (longer side) to try and learn how to do hill-starts (funny how the L's course doesn't quite prepare you for this).

I'll practice these coming weekends. Wish me luck!
  18. from what i learnt from starting up an incline on a dirt bike, it was just more revs but a GRADUAL release of the clutch because if it is anything but gradual, you will do a mono or end up A over T
  19. Ive lost count of the number of times I have got all the gear on, and then had to take off the gloves, put the bike on the stand, to get the bloody ignition key out of the pocket! :?
  20. Hey there Reb00tz,

Trust me, you have nothing to be embarrassed about. Just about every rider I know has an embarrassing tale to tell - it's just a matter of whether they have the balls to share it or not.

It reminds me of when I first started riding. A good mate told me "The thing to remember is that bikes only have 2 wheels and will inevitably fall over. You just have to hope that when it does you're either not on it or don't get injured!"

Sure, your confidence may have taken a bit of a battering, but stick at it - riding is one of those things where practice makes perfect. Before you know it you'll be giving another newbie tips and advice on how to correct their mistakes and overcome their lack of confidence.

"All I want for christmas is a 600...."