Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Noob with a Kawasaki GPX250

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Nocker, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Hey all,

I've been reading Netrider and gathering valuable info for the past couple of months and finally joined a couple of weeks ago. I've been getting everything that I can get my hands on, from what to look for when buying to how to lube the chain. This really is a great source of information.

And now I can add to the bucket with a possible problem of my own. I went for my fist cruze yesterday with a mate and was a bit concerned with what I heard. The bike ran fine up until I was revving it at about 8 grand. From this point and higher there was a noise from the engine. It was most probably pinging but I wanted to check and see if people agreed with me. It sounded a bit like if you hit a spanner on an engine block but maybe a touch higher in pitch. Do you think that this is most likely pinging?

I've always been confused with what the sound of pinging is as I've always been given a vague explanation of what it sounds like. I have used Shell standard unleaded fuel (only filled up once so far) when I filled up. My mate suggested using a premium fuel to get rid of the ping (if that is what it is). I tried a Search but didn't come up with anything that seemed relevent.

Oh, and another issue that I may have... when I got my bike I did a check of all the fluid levels and stuff and the coolant was right on the low level. All I had was some premixed coolant that does contanin ethol glycol so I topped up with that. Was this the right thing to do? I've heard something about not mixing coolants and as I don't know what was in the bike to start with I would assume that this is what I've done. Why is this a no no if it is true? Should I drain the entire coolant now and completely replace it?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, cheers all. :grin:
  2. You've got wives :!: :shock: Bigamist. Oh, you mean "wife's".

Off topic. Pinging? Can be caused by usig a fuel with an octane rating lower than it is designed for. OR if the engine is running lean. OR if the timing is wrong. Read your owner's manual. What fuel does it say to use? What is the motor tuned for? Seach for pinging and knocking on the site, or the internet. You may even find a sound file. :grin:
  3. Thought I read similiar post to this one before?
  4. Thanks RoderickGI, I'll change my profile thing so that I only have one wife.

Hopefully I can find a sound file cause I really don't know what exactly to listen for.

Yes Cash, there is another thread from this exact same post. I don't know how it got done a second time. I think that I had problems with the server when I first posted it and now it has shown up a second time later on.
  5. the server is stuffed... :LOL: