Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Noob Tyre Question

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by seanske, Oct 9, 2007.

1. So 2 places have given me quotes for a front + rear tyres

the current tyres i have on atm are:

90/80 - 17s on the front
    120/80 - 17s on the rear

one place has quoted me $420 for front and rear same size as above

while another place has quoted me $300 with the exception of the front tyre = 100/80 - 17s

my question is...does the discrepancy between the 100/80 and 90/80 on the front affect the way the bike will handle? with the potential to save $120 ...

EDIT: btw the $420 are for dunlops / the $300 are for bridgestones?

2. Just get the size that is stipulated by the manufacturer - Saving money on tyres increasing the risk of instability/damage to yourself or bike is not worth it.

I got a good deal on tyres at MAW in Castle Hill and they helped explain the different compounds etc to buy what was best suited to my riding. ($420 sounds a bit steep to me)
  3. I might be a bit old-fashioned, but I ALWAYS go with the manufacturer's recommendation.

You mentioned the brand names, but not the model types, that can account for a lot of difference. If the Dunlops are top of the line stickies, and the Bridgestones average all-round (sigh) tyres, there can be that sort of price difference. You need to compare apples with apples.
  4. can i get the number and/or website?
  5. http://www.maw.com.au/

If ya can speak to Sam or Greg, they should be able to help you out.