Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Noob question - Clutch or Neutral

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by 2Fast, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Forgive me if this is the stupidest question ever asked in the history of netrider. Coming from an automatic cage, I know very little about the operation of manual anythings.

When stopped at lights, I know putting it into neutral is a fairly common thing to do, but if it's left in first with the clutch in, would this have any undesired effects on the gearbox/engine/clutch?

2. No undesired effects, unless you have a really old abused bike and your clutch cable snaps and you wheelie into the intersection. But its safer to keep it 1st rather than neutral cause you can take off quicker should the need arise. Plus, its a good habit to keep your right foot on the brake and support the bike with your left foot.
  3. Either is fine. But its a good happen not to go into neutral until you have a car or two behind you (so you know someone isn't going to rear end you from not seeing the red light) - most important at night.
  4. It's a toss-up. Staying in gear leaves you ready to take off if you need to, but it can also wear your clutch as the plates are still slightly in contact. The clutch pushrod bearing also has to spin under load, which can cause that to wear prematurely as well. Not to mention, if yours is a cable clutch, the nasty possibility that the cable could snap at the worst possible time, as Cookie just wrote about in another thread. Ouch.
  5. Fantastic,

for some reason I thought having the bike sitting in gear and clutch in would have some strange effect on whatever parts are involved.

Good to hear,

6. I do both, depending on the time left on the cycle.

A couple of times after a draining day at work, ive accidently kicked it into first (with no clutch) while moving my left foot around.

It makes for a surprising jolt and stall. Gotta love the GPX250. Bulletproof!
  7. Oh bugger Loz,

I replied before i saw your post.
    That's what I thought may be an issue,
    I guess neutral is the go for long waits, clutch for short.
  8. If you go thru the same set of lights so often that you know their cycle, put it into neutral on the longer ones, kick back and relax. Otherwise just leave it in first and wait with the clutch pulled. Sometimes its too much fiddling especially of you're on a slope and got the rear brake holding the bike.

Just make sure you know when the lights are going to change on the ones you pull neutral on so you're already in gear before the lights go green.
  9. you will only wear out the paint on your clutch lever.. if you are on your L's wait till you do the P's course.. nothing but clutch all day.
  10. +1
    Just remember to keep looking behind you for that idiot that's gonna forget to stop, or take off prematurely. ( and keep that brake on re: clutch cable )
  11. +1. There are several sets of lights close to work which I sit in neutral, they have a weird sequence of changing. Or it's a particularly cold days and I need to stamp my feet to warm them up.

The only other time I use neutral is when it's a really windy day and having two feet down to support the bike when stopped is a good thing.
  12. Why do you need neutral to have both feet down? :?
  13. Oops, should of specified when waiting at lights which have long change periods. Other times, it's just clutch in and front brake.
  14. I used to leave mine in gear, I lost my neutral somewhere!
  15. I've got a couple of false neutrals you can borrow :LOL:
  16. lol.
    adding with what loz had said earlier, using too much clutch also reduces the bikes fuel economy *i think it applies to the bikes in here too*

a good clutch setting can give u smooth gear shifts and quick starts....using too much clutch wears the tightning of the clutch wire too, which eventually gives a negative impact on the above stated points.

hence :) use clutch to the minimal ....
  17. But wouldn't it wear out the gearbox, and keep pressure on the lay shafts, forks and dog gears, just like clutchless upshifts...?

I've heard the best solution is to utilise the false nuetrals between gears to prevent this damage from happening (if you are good enough to slow your gear changes down that much that is).

Is this true?

18. Holding in the clutch loads up the thrust bearing on clutch basket, which shortens it's life.

You also put strain on the clutch cable which promotes stretching, and if your plates are dragging even a little, you will get those nice and warm too.

Whether any of this is a problem depends on how long you intend to keep the bike.
  19. I'm neutral on the matter
  20. you're just clutching at straws now.