Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Noob intro; looking for a bike

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by JonneeZ, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Hey everyone! Great to come to netrider

OK so a bit about me...

Personal info:
    I just got my NSW L's a few weeks ago and am looking for a bike. Earlier this year I was doing a 10 week volunteer program in Guyana (South America, in the Amazon area bordering to the north of Brazil), and while I was in a rural village there would always let me ride their trail bikes around. I had so much fun thrashing them around the bush there that it ignited a desire to get into bikes properly ever since.

What im looking for: (ideally in the range of $5-7k)
    The type of (used) bike im looking for now basically boils down into 2 main categories, either -
    *Something to go out on weekend rides with my mates, could be either cruiser or sports bike. Just something that is going to be good for a learner rider and is going to be fun and reliable. Yesterday I went to Bikebiz in Parramatta and saw a 250 Yamaha Virago that looked damn sexy to me... but being a fairly big guy myself, one of my mates suggested that a 250 would feel a bit weak and I should go for something like a 400 Honda Shadow. What do you guys think?
    *Enduro-type bike that is both road legal, but can also hit the offroad. I'd love to potentially get into trail riding, but also have the ability to ride it on the roads if i wanted to go somewhere with it. Also in regards to this, if anyone knows any good casual trail riding groups that operate in Sydney (I like in Campbelltown in the southwest btw) I would love to hear about them... as this would make it easier for me to get into this area of riding.

If you guys could give me some info on WHERE would be best to go to get good value in finding what im looking for that would be great. Whether its a retailer, website, or even someone you know who is selling then I'm all ears.

Thankyou people. Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

2. Hey Jon.

Glad you made it to NetRider.
    Great community here, and a wealth of knowledge.

Hopefully some of the guys can give you some recommendations, but in the mean time have a look at some of the other "what bike" threads to get some ideas
  3. If you're a bigger bloke you'd be cruelly disappointed by a 250 Virago, trust me.

Have a look at a second-hand 500GS Suzuki....
  4. + 1 for the gs500
    i weight in at around 110kg and stand 6 foot and i love it
  5. Virago is a cruiser so , on that track dont do the 250
    V star 650 is the go