Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Noob Help

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by onekusu, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Hey guys,
    I'm new so please don't bite hard, due to my really silly and stupid questions. I have a couple so bare with me. :)

1. I'm considering buying a new bike in the price range of $2000 - $4500. I know it's not much but its all I can afford. (I don't have parents financially supporting like some my age!). I was wondering what do you think about the Kymco Quannon 125cc. I've been told that it is tremendously underpowered, which I don't care about as such, because I am incredibly scared of speed!! I just want something that looks nice and sporty but doesn't have the looming death wish over your head :$ . I found that I can afford a new Quannon 2009 model, which I can get for $3999 inc ORC but I also found out that I can buy a second hand Honda 2007 CBR125R for $300 bucks cheaper. Although, I'm not entirely won over due to the "popularity" of the bike.

2. Regarding a purchase, what exactly happens? I pay for my bike, it gets registered, and I ride away? Is there anything else I have to do? Can I just ride away from the shop (along with my new helmet and gloves..etc). Do I have to go to the RTA and do some follow up documentation?

3. Insurance. So I know I have to get CTP, is there any other insurance I should be looking into? My dad says comprehensive insurance and third party insurance is really important especially for a learner like myself (from his 30+ years of riding experience). Are these fairly cheap? Being a university student... I am limited to youth allowance and my trusty 1 year $5000 VC scholarship. Will they be costly over time?

4. "Breaking in" method. I downloaded the manual for the Quannon, it says something like I have to keep it under 60kmph for the first hour in the first 1000kms. If I forget, and I probably will, will the bike fall over and die (figuratively speaking of course :-s) or will it just not be "optimised" to its maximum performance?

Ok, I think I will stop now.. I don't want to be question overload for all of you. Thanks for taking the time to read this. :)

2. 1. use that money on an older more reliable known brand. Trust me, everyone says speed doesn't matter at the start but after a few months on a small bike power becomes an issue. If you're in melb, theres a Ninja 250R with little kms for 4.9k which is extremely cheap. If you could get your hands on a CBR then go for it, I'm just not too sure a chinese bike is the good choice. Also you'll save more if you could get a 2nd hand bike something with a few hundred km could save you heaps.

2. I've never purchased a bike from brand new but I believe you pay for the bike and registration + delivery fees blah blah. If you have your permit you can ride it away from the shop but before you do that you should get insurance.

3. Definitely get insurance, at least third party just in case you clip a Ferrari or something.

4. I'm not sure about breaking in with the Quannon but every bike is different. It is vital to break in properly.
  3. 1. Bike is a personal choice. For your first bike, go with something that isnt (generally speaking) unreliable and/or unproven. Also buying brand new, youll lose more than a second hand bike when you go to trade up. While Im not a fan of the CBR, you cant go wrong with Honda.

2. From brand new; you pay for it, sign some documents and ride out. Thats pretty much it. Second hand; might be different there, but up here you both fill out the forms identifying each other (seller and buyer) and sign it, then the new owner takes the forms (and the bike) to the 'RTA', pays the Stamp Duty and the bike changes ownership and registration. They almost never need to look at the physical bike though.

3. Comprehensive if you can afford it and its not stupidly high compared with the price of your bike.

4. Ride it like you are going to ride it. Dont bounce it off the rev limiter tho!
  4. 1. Look at what you can get in the second hand market in your price range, you should be able to find reasonable examples of most common learner bikes (VTR250, Spada, GS500, etc) for that sort of money.
  5. thanks guys for the help! :)

Just another quick one:
    Re: insurance.
    I intend to get just the following: CTP and third party protection. Should this be enough? I don't really want to pay for comprehensive as I have looked around and the average annual premium is a grand!!! *faints* I wanna minimise my costs and just go for the basic covers regarding accidental damage to someone else, which I think inevitable for a learner. Regarding the (lack thereof) theft insurance, would I be ok with just the handle/steering lock [feature on bike], an add-on alarm system, locks/chains and possibly an immobiliser under $500, do you think? Surely, because it's such an unknown brand it might deter potential crack fuelled thieves from stealing it.
  6. 'crack fueled thieves' don't rationalise, they see this way:

#1 - 2 wheels + small = easy to pinch

#2 - stark realisation that the 2 wheels they nicked isn't worth their next hit...!!

#3 - foregoing and thought process, they revert to #1
  7. I concur with others here about avoiding the Kymco: given a few years they might be good, but so far they're still very unproven. I'd strongly recommend looking at a Spada. For the money you have and your stated requirements, you could get one in excellent nick. It's no fire-breathing monster in performance terms, which you're fine with, but it handles really well and is just a great, reliable bike to learn on. I had mine for a couple of years and lost no money when I sold it: you'll lose almost your whole investment if you buy a brand new Kymco and then later want to upgrade.

In terms of insurance, I'll always suggest comprehensive if you can afford it - and if you're getting something older it may well be more reasonable - but if you really can't afford comprehensive then *definitely* CTP, and ideally theft as well, for the reasons stated above.

All the best with it, and welcome, no matter what you end up riding!
  8. Just looked up the Quannon and realised it's fully faired: that would explain your insurance quotes right there. Check out a quote on one of the online sites for Spada and I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised.
  9. As you mentioned you wanted a good looking 125cc, I've seen some 2-stroke aprilia RS125 and Cagiva Mito 125cc they're really good looking bikes.
  10. Faired bikes will boost the insurance cost by a massive amount, esp for a newbie. Have a look at naked bikes to drop your insurance cost. Also bikes that are popular can sometimes have a lower insurance cost as they have part that are easily avaliable.

I take it you are looking at a super sport styled bike, but have a look at naked, there are quite a few advantages to having a naked as a newbie, insurance as one of them.

With bike brands, if possible try to stick to the well known companies.
  11. thanks guys for your valued input! :) I'm going to like this place very much! :D

could anyone else recommend me a good bike, thats cheap and goodlooking?(ok, I've thought about it.. 250 seems like a better choice for me as I will probably have it for the remainder of my L's, P1 and P2's. I don't particularly like the idea of me getting bored of the 125cc's, which are notably well known for their lack of handling of speed, within the first six months of my riding career.)

I have basically three months before I get the second instalment of my scholarship, which I guess leaves me alot of time to contemplate on my first ever automotive purchase.