Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Noob - Help doing a self service on Suzuki Across

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Macca1983, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Hey all. I was wondering if there was anyone out there with a Suzuki Across that does their own servicing. I'm only mildly mechanically minded and have thus far avoided attempting it myself as I fear it would end up in tears. Would love to have a go but would like some pointers before pulling her apart. I'm in the Illawarra and would love to hear from someone close.

Thanks in advance

2. Firstly, have a look at this website

Download the workshop manual in the "Downloads" section and have a read through that.

Secondly, how much of a service do you want to do? Basic oil, oil filter, air filter, clean/lube chain etc? Or do you want to go more complicated things such as valve clearances, brake caliper overhaul etc?

If it's just the simple things, they can be easily done without too much hassle and from there you can slowly do more DIY service once you gain more confidence.

My Suzuki Across is going to reach 100000km in the next week or so. So I will be doing some services and most likely do a write up. So if you like you can wait :). It will be my first time doing a valve clearance check on the Across so it will be an interesting exercise if things decide to go wrong.
  3. alternatively...get the workshop manual for the diagram breakdown of the bike then search youtube as i'm sure there will be 'how to' video's