Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

noob has a question about touring

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' at netrider.net.au started by brownyy, Jun 24, 2008.

1. G'day all;

Particularly slow / painful day at work the last two days and I thought i would ask some advice about long distance rides.

For those victorian readers you will notice the Gippy ride this weekend coming (28th 29th) deprating/returning from melbourne, which involves a stay at the pub. Besides only having to take a toothbrush and the common stuff, what exactly should i prepare for??

Is there something i should be taking that is not commonly thought of? Should i mentally prepare myself for something? Just need some ideas from others more experienced riders and what they have learn't.

Also i will be TEC'n for quite the way, any hints there on how to play a good TEC'y?? Arranging a high-viz vest and corner marking will be explained at the start of the ride in details.

Thanks all for any advice.

--matt

2. If you're used to long rides then a few day tour will be fine. But if you're going to be distances you're not used to, for several days in a row, you'll be pretty buggered. So thats the first issue - having done some decent 400-500km rides or at least one - if you haven't already that is.

Other than that, when TECing don't tail the person in front of you as the second from the back isn't as confident as others and best giving them distance so they dont have to stress about you wanting to overtake etc. Also TEC should generally be someone who doesn't mind riding slowly, but can ride quickly if the need arrises, lots of patience, being prepared for an accident, etc. are also good criteria.. Importantly make sure everyone knows who you are and what you look like at the start of the ride, high vis vest helps or at least do a 'lookaaamee im the TEC' rant at the beginning.

3. temperatures can change a lot, as can inclement weather. Wet weather gear can be really good for keeping you warm by cutting down the wind blast.

It helps to prepare for very long rides by building up to them gradually, but in general, no one wins points for the longest stint in the saddle. Have an idea about where you are going so you don't rush to keep up with anyone, take a break now and then and keep drinking.

Ear plugs are your friend and something that the city commuters forget when hitting the road for big mileages.

Make sure you have enough rubber and chain life to do the trip without coming home on the canvas.

Without a doubt though, one of the things you shouldn't forget on a big ride is yer camera ;) and maybe have a think about what you want to wear once you get off the bike for the evening.

4. Mate, make sure you and the bike are fit enough for 600k in 2 days (thats nothing over 2 days)

As TEC you should have some knowledge of bikes or a mobile ph at least.

Everyone should be responsable for their bikes and with a small group as nominated, we wont be spread out to far (200m should cover us all)

This should be a comfortable ride with little "technical" stuff so everyone should be ok. I'll give a bit of a brief before leaving Sale as there are a couple of things I want people to be aware of late arvo. Maybe the Moe leader can do the same?

You will need to keep warm and carry a drink or chewie. I think most legs will be about 100k so an hr or so tops between stops. :wink:

5. If you're TEC make sure you know the route - get a decent map. If someone or something holds you up then you may need it (or if the corner markers screw up - as can happen. DAMHIK :evil: )

First aid kit and torch and a roll of duct tape are also good. You can repair a lot of things with duct tape and some fencing wire :LOL:

6. sweet, thanks for the advice about it all. The only couple of 'long' rides i've done is the ballarat group ride some time ago and a few melbourne to benders solo's...

by the sounds of it we will have more experienced riders with us to gippy anyway... cant wait...

7. make sure you get the phone numbers of some of the font riders and they have your number, just in case of a hold up or break down.
    except the fact you have to be patient and not try to push along those in front. and make sure you pack your phone charger, long cold rides on a bike can knock the power out of the battery and often just a two minute recharge to warm the phone can bring it back to life.
    the gippy run has a lot of stops so if you feel the need swap the tail end job with someone for a section or two just make sure they know the route

8. Don't forget as you are watching out for the stragglers, who is watching out for you.

Basically whoever is in front of you should make sure you don't get too far behind them so that they lose sight of you. Part of the leader's briefing should be to re-enforce this idea.

If bikes are rotating position through the pack due to corner marking it can be easy to lose track of where you are in the group and not know exactly who is behind you (that is, is it TEC or some other rider). For that reason I am a staunch fan of marking the TEC with a safety vest. I know they look daggy and some people don't want to wear them but I've seen a ride fall apart because someone mistook the wrong bike for TEC and left the corner.

9. Cheers Grey;

After tonights mystery ride i def will wear one. Someone somewhere left a corner but was recovered quickly enough. Also someone thought the group was at the lights and called me forward... two minutes later 4 riders appeared...
    Then i messed up on the after ride and took everyone to the library!!!

Cant wait for the gippy ride...

10. Take a spare key ...you on and of the bike alot ,maybe alittle tired they go missing easy ,600+ km's one wayi s along way for your mate to come give you the spare from home. :shock:

Pack your gear and ride 20 km's a few days before to make sure its straped on properly and not rubbing on your fairing ..seat etc.. and its not hiting you when you stop ,if it slides forward ,it gives you time to try a better set up ,or get more occy straps .

Pack your clothes etc ,then half it. :wink:
    And pack all your clothes in plastic bags ,just incase it pisses down.

11. Hey Matt

I did trip to Canberra and back on the long weekend and the one thing I found was that I didn't drink enough. Since then I have purchased a Camelbak so I can do some hydrating slowly as I ride vs chugging a drink every 2nd stop.

I found 90 mins was a long enough ride. From the maps I think you guys will stop more frequently. But it is good to move around when you stop to get the blood flowing again!!

Make sure you give the bike the once over before you head off each morning and have a plan for what to do if something happens.
    Sort of a Expect the Best but Plan for the Worst philosophy.

Most important, enjoy yourself!!

Safe trip

WGM

12. Cheers all for the advice. I'm (believe it or not, i hardly believe it myself) taking my most favorite night of the week off from drinking and socializing by getting everything ready. Its even free work drinks tonight at work!! How painful, two beers only :cry:

Hopefully in the morning all I have to do is wake up and ride...

enjoy your friday nights people...

13. WGM said:
    Camelbak? What do you need that for? I thought ST's came with a kitchen sink and built in bar.

14. Yes - but I don't want to hit a bump and spill some so I just mix it straight into the camel back.

Maybe I should just carry a waitress in one of the panniers and she can make the drinks for us all!!

:grin: