Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Noob from VIC

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Greydog, May 22, 2011.

1. G'Day all,

Thought I'd join up after speaking to a Netrider member today at Deca in Carrum Downs (thanks Alan; don't know your username tho). The local council was sponsoring emergency braking courses for new and returning riders free of charge, so I took advantage.

I ride a VTR250 and am still on L plates. Got the bike in Jan, and have been riding tentatively since then. Only recently started going out on "longer" rides on main roads, and looking forward to doing more. I am an older rider - 45yr old female, who hasn't had much to do with bikes in the past, but enjoying the hobby now.

Anyway, hope to meet some of you.

2. Welcome to the hobby :)
    Hope you don't mind me asking, what are your plans for the use of the bike? Commute, trip, occasional reccie (recreational ride), regular reccie?
  3. Kernel,

Not quite sure yet. Plan to go on plenty of rec rides, but may commute in the better weather. I live out just past Dandenong, and work in Port Melbourne, so it's a fair way for a newish rider to travel. I don't "need" to commute, so more for pleasure than necessity.

I live with my mother, who is elderly and disabled with arthritis, so riding time is going to be dependant on what work I have to do with her and around the house.
  4. Hey good for you getting out on the bike . The more you ride the better you get . Lots of great rides out this side of the city . I can send you a list if you like or just search the site
    for info

Good luck
  5. Hi and welcome to NR

Anyone with "Grey" in the forum name sounds like a really great person.

Mandy, can you give me some more info about the E-braking course. Which council was running it and what conditions were attached?

6. Thanks everyone.

Mainstage, I've been having a look and am definately interested in some of the rides and practice on offer.

GreyBM, the e-braking course was an initiative run by Casey Council. You had to be a resident of Casey (ie Berwick, Hallam etc). I think that was the only condition really, aside from having to have a bike that matched your licence (ie if on Ls, bike had to be LAMS), registered, roadworthy, helmet and (I think) jacket - the usual stuff they'd insist on. They don't run them all the time, so you have to keep an eye out for them. If you live in the area, you can also register your interest with the council and they'll let you know if they've got anything coming up.

However, I see you're in Altona, so may not be for you. Still, maybe suggest it to your own council as a worthy safety initiative.

BTW, "Grey" refers to the blue greyhound I own.. as in Grey dog, red bike. Corny, but means something.
  7. Thanks Greydog, I don't live anywhere near the area but I think any council that adopts this sort of intiative should be congratulated so may drop them a note.
  8. Welcome to NR and welcome to riding! Hope you can find more time to ride but hey, that means every second you spend on the seat, is precious!

Enjoy and dont worry too much! Trust yourself and trust the bike. Rest, Life's Good! :)

Ride Safe.
  9. welcome to Netrider Mandy :)
  10. Mandy,

I'm the one that suggested to you to join this forum. Glad to see you did & welcome. As you can see there is quite a bit of info on just about anything you could think of & more & plenty of support all over the state from some very experienced riders.

Hopefully you got something out of the course on Sunday that you can put into practice on the roads. I know I found out my bike stops quicker than I thought it would.

Enjoy, relax & stay safe on the road

11. ^^Hey, g'day again!

Yes, I think I did get something out of Sunday's course. My quick stops have improved a lot, and I'm a lot more confident doing them on my own bike - the ones I rode on my Ls were much lighter and tended to flip.

Thanks for the suggestion to join too. Good idea.