Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Noob from the GC

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by Toasted, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Hey guys my name is Shane, I own a Kawasaki EL250 that doesn't turnover and I'm going to need a lot of help to get it running haha. I figured the best way to get it up and turning was to get some help from some willing and knowledgable folks which has landed me here :). I know the absolute minimum when it comes to riding or fixing bikes but I'm keen to learn.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Welcome to the forum, working on your bike is a good way to learn, I would suggest if you are going to do it then buy a service manual for the bike. It will pay for itself in the long term.

What is the history of the bike, how long is it since it has run?

3. Welcome to NR

4. Cheers!
    The bike was running earlier this year but since then it's just been sitting under a roof

5. Welcome aboard :) Cant help much with the work as I get it done by the mechanics but the ELs are a great bike

6. Welcome aboard, a workshop manual as cjvfrcjvfr has said is the best friend you can get followed by some good tools, after that the fun begins. :)

7. Welcome to NR

8. I would drain the fuel and put fresh stuff in, fuel goes off after time. Drain the float bowls on the carby. Make sure the battery is fully charged. Pull out the plugs and check their condition and gap. Put it all together and give it a go, because you have drained the carby bowls it will take a while. To pump fuel up so you may need to have a few goes at cranking it. Don't crank longer than about 5 seconds without giving it a rest for a minute or so, starter motors are designed for intermittent use.

If all that works let it run for a while then change oil and oil filter. Tyres may be poor, unused they get hard and loose elasticity.

9. Cool thanks for some good advice going to try that also where is the best place for workshop manuals?