Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Noob from Sydney

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Blaise, Jun 18, 2009.

1. A big "hi" to the illustrious people of Netrider, my nick is Blaise (I've used this username for many a year on forums, it's derived from Blaise Pascal - a 17th/18th century mathematician/philosopher).

About myself: I started on bikes at the tender age of 9 with a kit mini-bike with a Briggs & Stratton lawnmower engine, moving onto Japanese mini-bikes and mini-cycles as the years ticked by. At 16 I stopped club racing as at the time there was nothing to transition to (senior clubs wanted you to at least 18). My hibernation lasted a 6 years until I bought a YZ250 and got back into motorcross with the St George motorcycle club. At this time I also purchased a IT250 & a XT250 and got my L's (I think for the second time). Never went for my P's for some unknown reason and allowed my L's to lapse. Did the same a number of years later (allowing my L's to lapse - habit forming?) and stopped riding after a rather bad "off" when practising some "quad jumps" at the long closed Hungry Creek motorcross centre (near Cessnock). My at-the-time wife also insisted that I give the whole "riding bikes" away, grow up and become more sensible.

Recently, my girlfriend and I decided to get our L's (I got 'em this week but my girlfriend still needs to go to the RTA and do the DKT although she passed the pre-learner a month ago - I know, she only has another two months to get her butt down to the RTA) and we intend to buy the bikes mid next month. I'm getting a Suzuki GS500F which will be my primary mode of transport whereas my girlfriend's heart is set on a Suzuki Intruder 250LC. She hasn't got much riding under her belt and I intend to have both of us attend intermediate courses in the near future to hone skills/enforce positive habits and make us safer riders overall.

Deciding to get back into bikes is like a breath of fresh air and the more I think about it, I was silly to let my ex dictate that I couldn't ride. I feel that I wasted a lot of years stuck in a cage watching the bikes through the glass of my car. Anyway, whilst we wait to purchase the bikes I'm doing a lot of research into riding gear and insurance as well as finding the best deal I can muster up for the rides.

Hope I don't make a pest of myself and look forward to riding with some of you in the future.

2. Welcome to NR Blaise :)

There are practice sessions out at Homebush and various meetups around the place. Come out and meet everyone lol

Congrats on ditching the ex and being true to yourself ;)
  3. I've been reading about the Homebush sessions - seems a good way to not only gain experience but to meet some of the other members as well. I'll be discussing the invite with the g/friend and hope to get out there once the bikes are firmly between our legs :grin:
  4. welcome. It dont sound like your a noob, in fact you have quite a bit of experience on bikes. maybe not on the road but you've grown up (i think) with bikes.
  5. I actually have quite a bit on-road experience... just a long, long, long time ago hence the noob rank. In fact, I started out on the road with a "baptism of fire" - my first ride (after lapping the block a few times) was a ride into the city via the Harbour Bridge in morning peak hour from Hornsby. Wasn't the most pleasant experience I must admit with all the cars around you rushing to work but I made it intact.

I did the pre-learners course up at Tuggerah Monday/Tuesday (couldn't get into any Sydney based course within 2 months) with Tuesday's session done in the rain. It suprised me when I thought about it but this was the first time I had ridden a road bike in the rain. Apart from the soaked jeans (I worn a raincoat over my jacket and my Exustar boots are waterproof), it wasn't the worrying experience I expected albeit all the riding was done at low speeds. I found the course very informative but I still need to break the ol' motorcross habit of 2 finger front braking.
  6. AHHAH the goodl old 2 finger braking....the instructors go ape sh*@....

I say your expericenced....only takes a few rides to get back into things. compare to me, ive only been on the bike bout 8-9 months, no previous bike experiences. you;ve had a minibike when you were about this tall |------| (not to scale)

I live on a main road..... my first road experience was liek oh SH*@ oh SH%# oh SH@@
  7. The instructor wasn't too harsh, in fact he laughed as he knew I had a motocross background and he was an enduro rider (at the same time reinforcing that I should use all 4 fingers). What I did get into a little trouble about was counter-steering. He pulled me up and said he wasn't teaching that in pre-learner but I said it felt natural at the speeds we were doing. They had me on a Yamaha Scorpion 250 on the first day and a Honda 250 on the second. I don't know whether it was the age of the Honda or whatever but the Yamaha seemed much easier to turn and control.
  8. Welcome Blaise & your alter ego & your lady
    WooHoo! My kind of NRer. Pascal fan, habitual Ls lapser (x2 - me), potential forum pest.

Re Pascal a bit of chat - Check out https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=65684

Post some picks of your lady & yourself too with the bikes

cheers TG
  9. haha goz opened a can of worms with that one
  10. No pics I fear... don't want the NR community to get jealous do we?
  11. Classic :)

Anyway, welcome :)
  12. haha hes joined NR... you forever never be sensible
  13. Yep, welcome indeed. Good to see some more "mature" riders joining. We gotta keep these young whipper-snappers in line here. :shock:
  14. Welcome Blaise, I'm close to dee why so will no doubt see you around :grin:
  15. lesson learnt, you listened to your wife, mistake number 1 on the list, that is why she is now your ex :grin:

welcome bud, definitely head out to homebush and meet us poor soles on a sunday for a chat and a bit of practice if u need it.