Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Noob Engine question?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by kermit, May 16, 2007.

1. Looking at replacing an engine in a ZZR with a low kms example from a wrecker......so far i have worked out how to rip it out , Is the engine and gearbox 1 piece i have multiple quotes for engines would this usually include the gearbox sorry i have a fair idea with cars but no idea with bikes

Cheers

2. Yes, usually it will include it, but best to ask in case you get burnt later!

3. Thanks mate

4. Yeah be careful. i have noticed in the states they sometimes separate them (at least in discussion), even if it's not a Harley.

Also try to get some type of promise from the wrecker, like the compression is good, it doesn't blow smoke etc. Low k's doesn't always mean good engine.

some wreckers may warrant it for 6 months

5. Yes, gearbox will be included as it's intergrated with the engine.

However things like carbs, electrics, coils, etc. probably won't be. And I don't know about here, but when I lived in the UK they used to sell engines without the side covers too. In short, always ask.