Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Noob checkin

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by Icy, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Hi, I'm Sam and passed my L's a couple of months ago. Got myself a proper POS- a 1980 CB125N. It's taken a bit of work to get it going and stopping but I'm having fun with it, despite having to modify my commuting route to avoid hills (I weigh as much as the bike...).

I'm seriously lusting after Guzzi V50 (anyone got one for sale? :)) but have been eyeing off a Duc 500SL Pantah on bikesales which is *almost* in my price range. I have checked out the rebuild threads on here recently and they really float my boat!
    Being LAMS approved is a good thing, but are either of these a sensible choice for a beginner? I'm not worried about spannering (I have Fiats and Alfas......), just handling the ponies. I've also never ridden a shaft-drive bike, is it a different experience?

Thanks in advance :)

2. Hi Icy, welceom to NR..
    Get as much as you can out of the learner bike for as long as you can, once restrictions are off, you'd probably want to upgrade to sumthin with a tad more poke, I'd be saving for the juicy bike [but thats my opinion]

3. Welcome Icy, Where abouts are you?
    Can't comment on your choice of Italian steeds as I don't know their history well enough. Shaft drive bikes do handle slightly differently than chain or belt drives but nothing that you don't get used to. The main one is torque reaction which is the tendency of the bike to tip slightly in the opposite direction to the spin of the shaft under acceleration and back again as you come off the throttle. Nothing that you don't get used to adjusting for.

4. Welcome to NR. (y)

5. Thanks guys! I'm in Hobart, sorry I should have mentioned that :)
    If I was to get something bigger, I'd probably hang on to the little Honda for the work commute and play with the 'toy' on the weekends. The Honda doesn't owe me much and is cheap as chips to run, but I wouldn't want to ride it on the highway!

I'd love a nice airhead BMW (maybe an R100RS) once I'm not under LAMS restrictions, but that's still a fair way down the track :)

6. Welcome to NR Icy!

Nice choice on the next ride of the V50, refreshingly different :cool:

As asked above ... where you based? Great place to meet other riders here!

7. Thanks Marty! I'm in Hobart :)
    I've been oggling ex-Italian police V50's like this one, but getting it here would be a nightmare I'm sure!