Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Noob Brake Fluid Reservoir Question

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Asura, Jul 1, 2008.

1. I'm hoping someone can help me out with a couple of Q's on brake fluid. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me...

I've got a Honda VTR250 (2000). Recently I noticed that the rear brake fluid reservoir was completely empty. I thought that maybe I just couldn't see the fluid level due to bad light so I unscrewed the reservoir cap to double check and the fluid just kind of "bubbled up" to the right level as if I'd released some pressure or something. (But brake fluid shouldn't be compressible like that right?)

The brakes feel OK (no sponginess), but I'm thinking I might have had some air in the brake lines? Any thoughts - ideas?

Also the front brake reservoir is unreadable due to some sort of cloudy gunk on the inside of the indicator window. Is there any way I can clean that out or would I need to fit a new reservoir?

(The bike was serviced a couple of months ago 40,000k, but I don't think they looked at the brakes.)

Apologies for the newbie questions...
  2. All fluids should have been checked.
    Cant say I'm familiar with your issues but I'd be doing a fluid change if its cloudy.

Do you know what spongy brakes feel like?
  3. I had a similar problem with a clouded over sight window for my front brake reservoir. I know you said it's the inside, but I thought similarly when mine didn't seem to clear up. Turns out the outside plastic was just getting a bit old and weathered on mine. A bit of a spray with a bit of teflube -on the outside- helped clear it up.
  4. Thanks for the responses guys.

I agree that fluids should have been checked but I don't think they were. I wasn't very happy with the service but that's another story... The fluid itself isn't cloudy now but there is some kind of residue from who-knows-when in the indicator window so a good flush out is probably in order.

As far as spongy brakes go... I've only got a few months riding under my belt, but the brakes are not noticably different from the CB250 I did my test on. Also there's been no noticeable deterioration in performance of the brakes.
  5. Pump the affected brake half a dozen or so times all in a row. If the brake takes up slack sooner after pumping it (ie it takes less application of the lever for the brake to apply after pumping it) you have air in the brake lines and need to bleed the lines.