Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Non PS3 Blu Ray DVD Player?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by 2wheelsagain, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Do any NR brothers or sisters own a Blu Ray player?
    If so what?
    Any recommendations? (Even HD DVD)

2. What a touchy subject.

Aficianados of each format will tell you that their format is the best.

Some gotcha's.

Many Blu Ray players (or BD as it's known apparently) were released before all the standards were finalised. As such, there is a phased release of players with the added features and enhancements. These are known as profiles. Look up 'profiles blu ray' on Google. In short, Profile 1 applies to all players released prior to Nov 1. All newly released players MUST be Profile 1.1 after this date. There are no Profile 2 players released.

Profiles are a side issue if you prefer substance over content. The added features with 1.1 and 2.0 may not be important to you.

With that covered, I purchased a Samsung BDP-1400 from HN the other day. It was $649, deals with all the new audio standards (my reciever doesn't though!) and outputs 1080p natively as well as up converting SD DVD to the same. I watched Die Hard 4.0 and it was a fantastic transfer to high def. Great sound, awesome PQ.

Sony Blu Ray players are also supposed to be very good. Checkout the heckling on the DTV Forum for a sample. The AVS Forum is another really good source of info.

In January I will buy the HD DVD add on for the XBOX 360 which will ensure I can watch HD DVD movies that are exclusive to the HD format (only $249 for the add on and won't be able to watch them in 1080p, only 1080i due to not being HDMI equipped).

I also have a Samsung M8 40 inch LCD. Works really well with Blu Ray :)