Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Non-Leather Gloves

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by slik50, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Hi,

One of the guys i work with has just bought a bike and is having a ball.

Unfortunately for him he is a vegan and cannot use leather gloves. All of his other gear is synthetic.

Does anyone know where I can find him synthetic motorcycle gloves. At the moment he is using ski gloves that look like they would last 2 maybe 3 seconds in an accident.

He has been an excellent friend and I was hoping I could surprise him with some additional protection.

2. draggin makes a kevlar glove but I don't know what they would be like in a crash. Kevlar heats up fast as with friction.

I reckon he will have a lot of trouble esp getting decent quality gloves.
  3. I've got a pair of Alpinestars SRS DryStar Glove which are non leather. Insulated though so they are winter gloves. Also had the SMX-6 gloves which didn't seem to be leather either.
  4. Here is a Yankee website detailing synthetic alternatives to leather gear:

If you are going to substitute leather in a highly critical place such as the hands, then I suggest your friend buys nothing but the best. These come to mind:

Note that Kevlar by itself has an awesome level of tear resistance (hence its use in bullet proof vests) but a rather ordinary level of abrasion resistance. Draggins have only recently started blending their Kevlar with another substance to raise the material's abrasion resistance. The folks I linked to, Motoport, have been doing it all along. They also make riding suits made of 1000 Denier Cordura, which is what DriRider and the like should be making their products out of but don't.
  5. Sounds like your friend has a few solutions already, but just in case they don't work out for whatever reason:

1. Has he considered 2nd hand? Might not like it because of the 'gross' factor, but he wouldn't be so much a part of the supply & demand cycle.

2. It might be possible to source some vegan friendly leather and get a local m/c leather manufacturer to use it. I understand Jain leather is made from fallen animals (and male goats, for some reason). It may even be possible to source a fallen animal and have it skinned and tanned if you spoke to the right people. Expense and quality control would be issues with this option.
  6. Brought a pair of RST winter gloves from PS recently. Fully synthetic, about $60.
  7. Thanks for the tips guys. Hopefully I'll be able to sort soemehting out this weekend.

8. Non leather gloves

My veggy SO wanted a similar pair of gloves ... In the end she settled for a half and half knowing she tried hard to do the right thing. Ixon winter gloves had leather only on the palms , but they are to well insulated for anything above 5 degrees Celsius.

She has had to make a compromise within her ethics for her safety or stop riding .
  9. saving hands with leather > a cow :p
  10. i would go to some of the motorbike stores around canberra and ask them, they have probably been asked the question before.