Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Non-conductive Adhesives? Suggestions??

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by taiheung, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Hey fellas, I recently went to work on my hyosung's rear mud flap to clean up the undertail a bit. In the process I removed the light that illuminates the number plate and replaced it with a strip of 3 LEDs. It looks great but the only issue is the LED strip has exposed copper circuitry on it that is exposed to the elements.

I've been to a few handyman stores and no one has offered me a definite answer - some have recommended silicones but a lot of websites say most common silicones are highly conductive.

Basically what I'm after is a non-conductive adhesive that I can smear the circuitry with to waterproof it. Does anyone have any suggestions or alternatives?

Image027.

2. I imagine silicone would be conductive whilst it is wet, but when it is dry, it should be stable, quick grip, whatever. if you are unsure, run a line of adhesive on a piece of cloth/paper/wood, then check the resistance while wet then while dry using a multimeter

3. I don't have those resources available to me unfortunately.

4. A digital multimeter is about $10-$15 from dick smith. Considering the lifespan of these little units if they are cared for, even if you use them rarely they are still an economical choice. Just don't run 500CCA through one accidentally :twisted:.

And a newspaper sheet will do! :p

5. Use a NEUTRAL CURE silicon. Once set AFIK they are all non conductive. Neutral cure will not harm the circuit board, other silicons (the ones that smell like vinegar) are acid cure and not good for copper tracks

6. ..they are also corrosive on most metals :(
    and should only be used with glass or ceramics

7. Use 5 min Araldite.

Regards, Andrew.

8. Araldite is non conductive?

9. Yes, which is why I suggested it. Far better than silicone.
    Araldite is epoxy resin, and some electronics that have to withstand severe vibrations/shock are "potted" (encapsulated) in this stiff.

Regards, Andrew.