Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Nolan N42 Helmet

Discussion in 'Helmets' started by Fragbait, May 14, 2011.

1. Not a review yet I'm afraid as I haven't bought one, but with a little luck I'll be able to update this thread before too long. I thought this was the most appropriate area for this post to gather input but if the mods can find a better place for it I'm all ears!

Hopefully someone out there can help me out with a question I have though. If I was to buy this helmet I would likely remove both of the visors, the tinted one and the face covering clear one too. Has anyone done this and how does it affect the helmet?

It would be fantastic if Nolan had planned for this contingency and included caps that covered the visor mechanism on the sides of the helmet to maintain a smooth helmet look and probably reduce wind noise but I haven't read anything about that being a reality. I know with the Nolan N102 if you remove the tinted visor they do include caps to cover the mechanism so I live in hope.

Anyway, if there are no caps to cover the mechanism is this a major problem with the helmet? Does it significantly increase wind noise?

The reason I'm considering the N42 is that I currently wear the N102 but I spend most of my time riding around with the face plate in the up position (yes I know I'm not supposed to do that). I've decided as a consequence that I would like an open face helmet for much of the riding I do but most of the cheapy helmets (M2R, THH, RJays, RXT, etc) just don't fit my strangely shapped noggin.

I was actually considering buying a second N102 and removing the flip up part when I found out that the N42 is effectively exactly that. Fit wise none of those cheaper helmets are any good for me. The only ones that actually feel snug and secure are either the Nolan N42 or there's a Shoei helmet of a similar style, although at about $400 it's significantly more expensive.
  2. Sorry can't help with your question but was just wondering

You live in Melbourne it's cold and it's raining .. Why do you want to take off the visor ??
  3. Fair enough question :) My bike is purely for recreational purposes these days. If it even remotely looks like rain the bike stays in the garage. So I tend to ride when it's warm and sunny and I've found that I like to experience being out in the open air as much as possible.

By the way, nice bike! I came very close to buying the VFR 800 myself a couple of years back, but the temptation to go fast and give mr plod lots of money in speeding fines would have been too great :)
  4. I don't know if it helps, but I bought a Vemar Jiano helmet, and the shaded visor is INSIDE the main visor.... it flips up out of the way when not in use, and doesn't contribute to any added wind noise.

That said, I don't know any Nolan user who doesn't like his helmet....
  5. On my nolan they included caps for if you remove the outside tinted visor.
  6. aaa I see fragbait you like the warm summer breeze on your face .I can appreciate that '

good luck with the helmet . have you contacted the inporters/distributors.