Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Nolan N-42 and N-Com System

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by incitatus, Nov 13, 2006.

1. About a month ago I gave in to scooterosis, and bought an open face helmet for my scooter, the first I have owned since the full-face first appeared in the 70's. I chose the Nolan N-42,

This helmet is fitted for the N-Com audio system which includes a headset with mike, and a range of options including cables for a phone and/or mp3 player, a bluetooth unit for phone, and either a cabled or bluetooth intercom. I have split the review between the helmet itself and the N-Com system.

The helmet:

I am very happy with the helmet after using it for a month, it is light, comfortable, and quiet. The full-size visor has a second outer 'shorty' tinted visor that can be left up as a sort of peak, or brought down over the top of the clear visor. I find this to be ideal compared to having to choose between a clear or tinted visor, and expect to see other manufacturers offer something similar before long. The liner is completely removable and washable, has pockets for the audio system, and channels for the cables to keep them clear of the straps and to the rear. The visor is removed in a couple of seconds by pressing a single button on either side. Ventilation is not so important with an open-face, but this one has a vent on the crown that works fairly well, but nothing like as well as any of my (3) full-face helmets. I give the helmet itself a very high rating for comfort, and I don't think it looks bad either.

The N-Com audio system:

The helmet comes with no audio components, and you must start by buying a $99 'basic kit' which includes the speakers and boom mike only. The basic kit is useless on its own as you need to buy at the minimum a suitable cable for your phone, MP3 player, or both. I started by buying a 'Multimedia Cable' for $25 to connect my iPod, to see what the sound quality was like before considering going the whole $300 hog on the bluetooth unit, and I'm glad I did.

I can't say this any more simply.....it's crap, total crap, a waste of $124. The sound quality is pretty average when stationary, and completely useless at anything over about 60kph. I have reverted to using the apple earphones which fit nicely into the pockets provided for the N-Com speakers, and are 1,000% better. I have not bought a phone cable, so I can't comment on how the mic will work, but it's pretty likely that it will be as useless as the speakers at anything but a crawl. This system seemed ideal and promised to provide all the functionality I would ever require. Unfortunately it lied...........
  2. Thanks for the heads up inci

I have the latest Nolan Flip face with NCom capability. Never really thought much about it as I already have the earmolds with speakers.

Bluetooth - never really thought about talking on a phone while riding. Maybe something to connect up to my Zumo GPS (if I get that) so I can hear the directions, but then again I can probably connect my speakers to the audio out on the GPS and can also play MP3's on the memory card
  3. Ive tested the Ncom unit with the full faced helmet, and its bloody great. I can talk and hear perfect while using my bluetooth mobile phone riding upto around 160km, which is more then enough.
  4. Cool - two reviews and two different recommendations

So what was the total cost HP?

Thanks in advance
  5. Im not sure as i didnt buy the unit, but only tested it. I think is around $420 for the helmet and another couple hundred dollars for the bluetooth unit. It's not cheap, but for the right user, it would be worth it.
  6. I'm now wondering if my unit is faulty. If so, that would be cool, at least I can get it replaced under warranty. Those prices are way out. The basic unit is $99, plus $330 for the bluetooth unit, plus $25 for the multimedia cable, plus the cost of the helmet of course.