Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Noisy clutch only when cold

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Waldy, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Hi Guys,

My CBR250R has a bit of clutch noise when the oil is cold (so it seems).

When I take off at lights, or from a stand still, I notice a kind of "scraping" noise coming seemingly from the clutch. This has occured since new, and I am just curious to know if this is normal for this bike?

The clutch still works normally, so take offs and slow riding are not an issue, and once the bike has warmed up, the problem goes away.

Any thoughts would be good....

P.S. The bike went in for service at Western Motorcycles Sydney, both at 1000km, and again at 6000km. They seem to think all is fine. (And for what it is worth, I am happy with their service in general, they seem very thorough).

2. My guess would be the clutch thrust bearing: does the noise go away when you pull in the clutch lever?
  3. If the dealership says its fine that usually means " it's stuffed but we couldn't be bothered fixing it, maybe once the warranty runs out then we will charge u for it"
  4. Yes the noise goes away when the clutch is pulled in, and if it is released completely.
  5. If it IS the thrust bearing, then you probably don't need to work about it, my VFR has a noisy thrust bearing and it's been doing it for ages! The day I test rode it I heard the noise and took it across the road to a mechanic just to confirm my suspicions. He said "Pull the clutch lever in". I did and the noise went away. "Thrust bearing", he said. I said Ok, bought the bike and I don't even think about it anymore.
  6. Fair enough - didn't think it was anything too serious, because the bike is perfectly rideable anyway.

7. Put Ducati stickers on it and enjoy.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Boom.
  9. ....just as an update, I checked out the CBR250R forums, and plenty of people are having this issue, but nobody has mentioned anything serious about it.

I'm not gunna worry until there is something to worry about :)

....and where do I get Ducati stickers from?? :p
  10. I'm glad that I am not the only one who has this problem. Just picked up my cbr this week and the noise scared the crap out of me the next morning!
  11. Mine had that in the first couple of thousand km's. Its gone now.
  12. That's good, Mine has only just gone over 3000km. So hopefully it will disappear soon.