Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Noisy brakes in the wet

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Rybky, May 20, 2009.

1. Hi,

Riding in the rain over the last couple of days I have found that my front brake makes a hell of noise, reminds me of the noise bicycle brakes also make when they are wet, kind of a squeal/drone. I tried some hard braking to try and dry them out but it still does it, mostly at normal braking pressure, light or heavy braking it does not do it.

I don't think this is normal. Is it related to the quality of the pads?

2. I had a similar problem with my bike when riding in the wet, I still had plenty of brake pad left but when I used the brake it would squeal, I think it was just water getting on the disc and causing the brake pad to slip a little.
  3. It's normal.

My ZZR11's brakes used to make a loud "zinnggg" when applied heavily in the wet. The Blackbird's brakes are also noisy, more of a hissing noise. But as the brakes heat up they become quieter.

Probably it's a function of pad material type.
  4. can buy some spray stuff at superchep auto that u spray on the discs and its meant to shut them up. never tried it thou
  5. Do yourself and other road users a favor. When you try this stuff out, if you ever do, do it on a road that is straight, flat and has no traffic.

Remember, if it's from SCA, then it's probably meant for a car. Cars' disc brakes are usually made from cast iron and then machined. Bike disc brakes are stainless steel. This means that they have vastly different characteristics, particularly in wet weather.

Spraying some "stuff" on the discs without considering this is a recipe for disaster.
  6. or decide it adds character n forget bout it
  7. Thanks for the replies!

Haha! Well it certainly does get some attention.

OK, will live with it for now and maybe look at a different type of pad when they need replacing, I am sure the Kawasaki ones are probably not the best you can get.