Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Noise/vibe in neutral

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by dbrain, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Hi all,

Complete newbie, got my first bike last night. It's an ex demo (500km) Street Triple 660. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post.

I was just wondering if it's normal for a bike to vibrate a little and make a bit of a scrapey (I guess, its not overly loud) noise when in neutral and the clutch is engaged (lever released)?
    It does not do this when the clutch is disengaged (lever in).

If not, what could be the cause of this?

2. It's probably the thrust bearing in the clutch, and nothing to worry about. If you are concerned still, chat to your mechanic when next you get the bike serviced.
  3. Grinding or screeching, no.

gentle whirring, maybe a slight rattle, perfectly normal.
  4. Great, thanks! Might just be something settling I guess, but I'll add it to my "first service list of dumb questions" :)
  5. My vfr's engine sounds like a well oiled sewing machine, pop it in neutral and let the clutch out, not so much :( but still perfectly normal.
  6. Haha, yeah that's what made me question it. Clutch in, smooth whirring noise. Clutch out and it gets rattley.
    Just wanted to make sure it's nothing to worry about / nothing I need to run out and get looked at straight away.
  7. Hello, yes it is the right forum, well done :)
  8. Sounds normal. Many bikes clutches will rattle with no load & then be quiet with lever in. Nothing to worry about, just a design feature. Can sometimes get worse with age, thin oil, and if throttle bodies are not balanced.
  9. Nothing to worry mate. All normal
  10. :]welcome aboard