Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Noise from front end of Spada

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by MotoMatt, May 16, 2012.

1. Honda Spada VT250 (1989)

Front end is making a horrible whining noise. It started when i was slowing down at traffic lights but sometimes it continues as i'm riding and the sound gets higher pitched at I go faster up until it either goes away or i can't hear it anymore at about 60-80km/hr. If i slow down to walking speed it stops.

Don't think its the brakes because it makes no different to the noise when i apply and release the front brake. Don't think its from the engine because changing gears doesn't effect it in any way.

I though it might be the front wheel bearings but i got the front wheel off the ground and slowly rotated it and it is smooth and quiet and has no side to side movement. Spinning the wheel with my hand i couldn't get it to make the noise.

Any Ideas?
  2. Still might be the bearing. It might only happen under load.
  3. Sometimes the early signs of failure are very subtle to the touch. Cheap parts and not that hard to replace. Sometimes getting the first bearing out can be annoying and it's only that that turns it into a Saturday morning job.
  4. I'll have a go at putting new bearings in this weekend and see if that stops the noise.
  5. Grease the speedo drive while you are there.
  6. A mate told me to check out the speed cable before I pulled the bearings out. Turned out that when I had a new headlight unit put on the mechanic has put too much of a bend in the cable. I straightened it out a bit and lubed it up. No more noise. Nice cheap fix!