Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Noam Chomsky - I tip my hat to you sir.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Scottatron, Feb 6, 2008.

1. It doesn't take much for the man to best himself :roll:
  2. I really value Noam Chomsky. He might have his faults, he might have his agenda and he might occasionally get some things wrong or bend some facts to fit his theories - well, so does everyone else. But I believe he is fundamentally right about most things he writes about, and even when he isn't, it is still extremely important to have voices like his around.

I don't give a shit about the the Iraqis or the Iranians, I despise them equally and I was quite pleased when they were busy killing each other. But I still think he is essentially right in this article, and above all he's right about one thing: USA, and Australia for that matter are not functioning democracies. We have freedom of speech, but what we say makes no difference. We have freedom of choice, but look at our elections: choosing between Liberals or Labour is like choosing Regular Coke or Cherry Coke... the packaging is different, but actually they are BOTH Coke. Both made by the same company.

More and more of our discussions, decisions and choices are like that and that's why we really need people like Noam Chomsky, if only to make us stop and think for a moment every now and then.