Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

No wonder jobs are going overseas

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by smee, May 18, 2007.

1. This sort of shit makes me extremely angry.

Have a look at the pay rates.
  2. Might be faster to get some Indian to code up the new look Netrider :grin:
  3. It's because the standard of living is SOOO much cheaper over there (at present). For example. $300 "name" shoes here are $20-$40 in India etc.
  4. Having worked for a company that offshored services to India and Malaysia and experienced the amount of work required to make it happen, this company is a no hoper. They have a 2 day turnaround from you provisioning their service to 'Go Live'. So I'd take their daily (US$) rates with a pinch of salt.

On the other hand, the work we transitioned offshore, was, after a period of time, performed perfectly adequately and at a huge difference in cost.
  5. in the same breath, I know a company who outsourced some code work to take some of the load off their developer for a short time. Simple job, adequate instructions, very poor outcome. The website was done quickly, sure, but it was quite blatantly code ripped off from elsewhere, quite obviously umm .. compartmentalised for want of a better word? Even I could tell that bits were written by different people. There was no commenting, poor coding in general and the site itself barely actually *worked*.

Fair to say you get as many bad experiences as good with offshoring.
  6. I think they're being ripped off.. Coding is some really tedious shit..
  7. damm.
    i should hire one to reply to netrider topics for me.
  8. Worst part is the people actually doing the work are probably only getting half of that or less after "support resort" skim off their share. Fairly sure the average wage in the Phillipines for skilled labour is only around $1 an hour.
  9. That's true, I hear Sorny TV's are cheap there ;)
  10. $3.36 in India doesn't equal 1 bottle of Coke, like it does here..

It provides considerably more.. The people in India are happy, because that's money they wouldn't otherwise get, if they could find something better paid, they would.

People here are happy because we get cheaper rates.

It's a win win situation.
  11. No, they just put up with being exploited by companies because in a country with no welfare system, and a shortage of jobs, people are forced to work for whatever they can get to keep from starving to death. Large companies know this and exploit this, deliberately keeping wages low. Wages in developing countries are kept artificially low, people in developed nations lose their jobs to outsourced labour - the only real winner is the company skimming profits off the labour of others.
  12. Unfortunately my experience has been you get what you pay for. I have to deal with a number of offshored support groups and the standard of support is just woeful. Sure they're saving money but they're paying for it in extended outages, unescalated issues, and fairly significant mistakes.
  13. Not exactely. I watched a documentary about Western countries sourcing offshore. Of course the main objective is to minimise costs for the company however most people dont understand how positvely this reflects on the world economy!

People in countries such as India can only dream about a call centre job.
    Most people work their asses off to get a job in a call centre!
    The pay they get is equivalent to the average Australia yearly income based on each countries' standards.

I for one fully support jobs going overseas. Why should taxpayers pay for dole bludgers to sit and shoot up when our oversupply of work can be sent to places that need it?
    What offshoring has done for these countries' economies is beyond enormous but selfishness cant see past that.

Think about it on a bigger picture. Jobs going to India helps their economy by diminishing the third world status and in result supports the world economy. Our interest rates, prices etc are based on the world economy, so if its strong, at the end of the day, who really has the advantage?

Just my 2 cents worth :wink:
  14. You are making the assumption that offshoring is the result of an oversupply of work. This is NOT true. Offshoring is quite simply an effort for companies to reduce their bottom line, saving $$$. Typically they are outsourcing areas that are already in high demand here, and putting people out of work as a result when they offshore their existing support department to a cheaper location.
  15. As someone who works for a company that was sold to an Indian offshore outfit I can definitely lend some insight from the inside.

First up. It aint always cheaper.
    Secondly if you want maintainable code, this is not the geek you are looking for, move along.
    Third, if you want to understand racism, work with an Indian manager. You will be subject to a quiet insidious racism all the time (What you thought only the western world was racist?)
    Now I am not saying it is all bad. We have some great Indian workers (And a couple of Aussies that are complete F’wits) But to produce a quality product with the current Indian IT Industry is difficult, because it is the Indian way to cut corners wherever possible, to promise things they can’t and simply don’t intend on delivering, and at the end of the day to point at every one else for there mistakes (Blame storming is a sport around here).
    BUT! I can see when china gets into the market the IT industry could be in for a shakeup the likes of which we have never seen (And they are starting to enter the market) The key difference is that the Chinese understand the word quality in a way the Indians don’t and there are even more of them
  16. i notice you say faster....... would that be because nothing is as cheap as your good self :LOL: :LOL:
  17. They are happier with those jobs existing, than without. If you went up to one of these people and told them, $3.36 just isn't enough, I think you're being exploited, we'll raise your payrate.

The comparative advantage they had is now gone.

All labour in India/Asia is cheaper (generally speaking, ignoring Singapore etc). My mate got a haircut in China for 40 cents. He's not going to get much change out of $10 here.

Does that mean he's exploiting the Chinese haircutter or is he helping the Chinese haircutter feed his family by providing him with business? Would the Chinese haircutter be happier if my mate never "exploited" him in the first place?

I'm suprised at how many people are ignoring purchasing power though. In India you can feed a whole family comfortably for $3.36, that same type of meal would cost about $20 here..

And as for the quality issue. If you think the (lesser) sum paid is not good value for money, don't use those services. You get what you pay for and you have the freedom to move whenever you want.
  18. You know people used to argue slaves were better off working cotton farms in the US because they were provided with clothes and a cooked meal. Some things never change I guess :roll:.

Sure food and basic essentials are cheap in developing nations - but most luxury items which we take for granted (cars, electronics, etc.) are still roughly the same price. So even though an Indian working may be doing exactly the same job as someone here (or more) they're somehow not entitled to the same things purely because they're another nationality.