Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

No throttle/power

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Zerby, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Hi all,

I've just had to replace the fuel pump in my 2010 Hyo GT250R EFI after I discovered a few broken bits and pieces in the fuel line. I started it up, went through the rev range to make sure it was all sweet before taking it on the road.

It sounded fine and revved fine while stationary but before I even got to the top of 1st gear it lost throttle and begun struggling. It seemed the more I opened the throttle the more it struggled. I couldn't even get to 20km/h. Pulled over and again it was fine while stationary, but once I got up to maybe 15km/h it started happening again.

I don't understand what the problem is since it is fine while stationary. My first guess is that the problem occurs when the engine is loaded but I'm still not sure why.

Any suggestions??

2. Are you sure you found all the broken bits and pieces in the fuel system?

There is a big difference in the amount of fuel needed by engine revving when stationary compared to when it's revving under load, and it sounds like there might be something restricting flow.
  3. The original problem wasn't actually anything to do with the fuel system but when I took the tank off I noticed that the previous owner had actually broken the parts and done a quick fix. The fuel system was running fine then but I decided to fix it up anyway so I don't think anything is actually restricting flow.

Edit: When I say "bits and pieces broken in the fuel line" I mean the nozzle on the fuel pump and a hose joint were broken. Not actual pieces of material IN the line.
  4. Given the fuel system is the last thing you worked on, and the symptoms you describe match those of an engine not getting enough fuel, that's definitely where I'd be focusing my attention.
  5. I just replaced the fuel line and everything is running well now. Must have been something in it restricting flow.