Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

No Test Ride

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by 2wheelsagain, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Just wondering what opinions peoples are about purchasing a new bike and new style of bike without having a test ride.
    As some of you will be aware I'm looking at a new Bandit or Hornet, so the styles are similar but I'm coming off a sportier RF900R meaning riding position and performance will be different. :?
    I cant get a test on either bike without going to Melbourne. As far as I'm concerned a quick lap of the block is not a test and having a sales person follow would just sh!t me. :mad:
    So despite the best efforts of Loz and a few others in THIS thread steering me towards the Hornet, I think I'll go for a Bandit (thanks Jim and a few others) for lots of reasons including; because I can get a super deal fairly local, the fairing will help on my mainly open road speed riding, I think (and Mrs 2wheelsagain thinks) they look better and I already have a Suzuki key ring! (that's the clincher) :LOL:

So the question is after all that BS. Should I have a test ride in Melb or just go out and plonk down some cash?
    Thoughts?

2. I would at least want to sit on it & see how it felt...

3. Just think about how you will feel if you just buy it, and then don't really like it?
    :mad:
    Go the test ride for sure.

4. theres no way i would buy a bike with out a test ride :grin:

5. Besides any conditions that might restrict a persons riding position, test rides can be a bit of a furfy.

Why?

Any bike you have not ridden before will feel "odd" and not just right.
    Still do take one out if you have the chance, but choosing a bike for your needs is far more important.

Eg. Do you want to do country riding or city dwelling. Do you anticipate needing to carry luggage or want to filter traffic. Is refueling regularly an issue for you. Do you want to do track days? Do you want to ride on surfaces other than sealed?

Getting your requirements is absoultely critical!!

Then find a ride which matches your needs and at least have a sit on it.

The human body can adapt remarkably well (unless as stated above)!

6. Unless it was a cheap commuter option that I won't have to ride for long periods, then I would want a test ride before laying down the dough.

Consider how much $$ it will cost if you just buy, and then have to re-sell a new bike because you don't like something about it. A trip to Melb will cost you much less

7. hope the "test ride" bandwagon isn't full and hasn't left yet :LOL: :wink:

8. +1

I wouldnt restrict myself to only testing the Bandit I'd try the Hornet aswell.
    At the end of the day you want to be certain that you will be comfortable aswell.

Its amazing how different 2 different makes of bike in the same category can feel!

9. Sometimes i think there is no choice.. When i bought the ZX12R i couldnt test ride one, and when i bought the Boulevard i didnt test ride one. Only reason was there were none to test ride at the appropriate dealers. Luckily Race Rep had a demo 14 to ride. So i would say yes to buying without test riding on some occasions.

10. Buy it, test ride it for 6 months, then you'll know for sure what it is like in every way, and if you don't like it you can sell it!

You're right, a lap of the block is pointless and so is half an hour.

11. Test riding will be as beneficial as just sitting on it and reaching the controls, etc.
    As said, you won't be used to the bike when you test ride, so every bike will probably feel a bit weird. The best option is to read as many reviews of the bike as possible, and see if any of the issues would bother you, eg "short people will find this bike difficult to keep upright". THEN make your decision. But sure, if you have access to test riding, go for it :)

12. Unless you're very short, or super tall - you can adapt most bikes to fit you a bit better (yeah sure there are exceptions).

I'd go the Bandit with the free full luggage system :cool:

13. Just an update and thanks all for the replys.
    I have sat on an 07 Bandit in Florida a month or so ago (got me thinking :wink: ) (about $6000 there too)
    Got a call from my dealer this arvo saying there are no 07 demos left in VIC. An 08 is on its way but may be 4 weeks. 30 are on back order and most of them are already sold (Aust or VIC???)

I'm 186cm but short for my weight :LOL: so the size of the Bandit doesnt worry me. I agree with any new bike feeling weird for a while as has been suggested.

So over the weekend I'll have a think about whether I can wait 2 months or more or take the plunge and plonk down some cash for one of the back order ones not already spoken for. He's knocking $500 off if I go this last option. :grin:

*cue thinking music*

14. Just remembered this, are you pillioning 2wheels??

15. Thanks Toecutter. Good point but Mrs 2wheelsagain is on the lookout for a learner bike for herself. Kids have their own lives so pillion wont be a problem.
    I may do some customising one day to a second seat and turn it into a single seater and remove the pillion pegs.
    A few things have to come together before any of that happens :mad:

EDIT: I have read reviews where pillion comfort has beed given the thumbs up.

16. i know I eliminated some bikes from a test ride altogether just from sitting on them.

1) Hyo naked 650. couldn't swing my leg over the seat comfortably due to the height of the pillion seat. nearly knocked the bike over.

2) suzi naked 650. footpegs & handlebars just felt WRONG to me. was way too uncomfortable to ride it anywhere.

But then I also added a bike to my list I hadn;t considered just from sitting on it:

Kwaka z750. felt awesome.

17. I've knocked bikes off the shopping list just by sitting on them - Daytona 600/650 was one of them. Footpegs just felt very uncomfortable on that one... like I was trying to twist my ankles to keep my feet on the pegs.

But test rides are still worthwhile, if you can get them. It was test riding the Tuono that made me decide: "I must have one!" when I wasn't even shopping for a new bike. :LOL:

18. When I bought my current bike, a used Blackbird, I took it for a quick spin to see if any obvious faults could be detected. I didn't need to take it for a good run to make sure that it "felt right' because as far as I could tell, it fitted me, or I fitted it, more or less the same as the barge that I currently owned (CBR1000F).

However, I'm looking at something like an SV1000S. Something like that I would try and take for a decent run before deciding whether it's "me" or not, as it's vastly different to the 4 cyl. sports tourers that I've been riding since 1991.

Finally, if a seller refused to let me test ride the bike, I'd continue shopping. I don't buy the bs that some spin about the potential buyer pissing off with the bike, or crashing it or whatever. That's a risk you take with any vehicle that you have for sale.

19. Private sellers I can understand, but I wouldn't accept a dealer not offering a test-ride. They've got insurance, after all - and if they don't want to let you try it, then perhaps they don't want you to buy either?

Private is different though. Don't expect a test-ride for a private sale unless you can hand over a deposit big enough to cover crash damage. :p

20. fwiw, I bought my bandit without ever test riding. Pick it up this week. I read a lot of reviews, nobody really said it wasn't comfortable, usually quite the opposite. Has enough power, and handling is fine. THat's enough for me! :) Mind you, if I wasn't a "big bike beginner" hehe, and more discerning, I'd be wanting test rides. I definitely wouldn't have bought it without sitting on it first tho.