Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

no spark

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by voondar, Jan 30, 2011.

1. I have 1997 Suzuki GSF250 that will not start. I am not getting any spark from the spark plugs and believe my CDI digital igniter (32900-11D20) is toast. I have checked the ignition coils and they seem to have the correct resistance and so does the generator. I have also tried new plugs. Is there any way to verify the CDI unit is the problem? I have checked the resistance between all of the pins and they are all open circuit (no measurable resistance). I also have not been able to find anywhere to get a replacement unit. I am in melbourne if anyone knows a good place to locate one.

2. If you've eliminated all other causes, the CDI is suspect - only way I've heard to test them is replace with a known-good unit: if the bike starts, the old one is cactus...
  3. So problem has mysteriously disappeared. I put the CDI back in and resecured most of the electrical connections and she's running fine now. Hopefully just a bad connection somewhere and the problem has been fixed.

On another note, does anyone know anything about the derestricted CDI units available on the web?