Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

No search warrants for gun searches

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by waedwe, Sep 15, 2013.

1. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-15/nsw-premier-proposes-tougher-gun-search-powers/4958740

2. Your title should include the word 'Proposed'
  3. The problem when laws like this have been passed in other places around the world is that they tend to create a thin edge of the wedge problem and before you know it people's rights have gone away.

I believe they need to find other ways to deal with the unlicensed gun problem.
  4. I wonder whether when entering a premises or searching a person for weapons without a warrant anything else found during the search is null and void as evidence e.g. cash, drugs, stolen property etc.

For me as a LAFO (while it has never happened) police can enter my home anytime they want without warning if they "suspect" I am not storing my firearms safely, they can also seize my firearms for crimes they think I might commit, despite being a clean skin.

in the last crack down on gun crime LAFO's were targeted as the source for criminals getting there hands on ammunition, now we are forced to carry our firearms registrations around with us when purchasing ammunition and our names addresses and the firearms we own are recorded in unsecured databases.

it only takes one crim to swipe the the register off the counter at a gun store and every LAFO who has purchased ammo from that store is now compromised.

GO government!

oh and the last major compromise of LAFO's was when NSW police downloaded data (all registered firearms owners) from the a secure police data base and then posted it on the unsecured police intranet for every one to access with no recording of who had accesed it..... then lots of home invasions started happening.

5. Proposals like this are the reason why all law abiding citizens need to own firearms. No warrants will always lead to corruption.
  6. well it's a tad misleading headline/thread isn't it - i read this elsewhere myself and it's for those whom have been banned from owning firearms....if you've been banned from owning weapons then it's probably a good thing for the rest of us that your being searched without warrant.
  7. Is there an unlicensed gun problem?

8. I have no idea if there is or is not (no information) but the PTB are claiming there is and for the purposes of this discussion I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.