Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

No power

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Tiga, Mar 18, 2005.

1. I've bought an RS250 a about a month ago and all has been going well until last night. It's started fine and seemed to run fine but as soon as I tried to get up the hill out of my garage it becoame clear that I wasn't getting any power. Instead of just using a touch of throttle I was able to open it right up and still nothing happened. It would start to rev higher and then struggle. Fuel was low so I switched to reserve and ran it for a while but this didn't help. By the time I gave up on going anywhere I had to keep the throttle on just to keep the engine going. Has anyone got any suggestions - I'm new to bikes so could be missing something obvious

2. Hard to tell without looking at it but it sounds like you ran out of gas then when you switched to reserve it got some crap in the carbs (I never use reserve for that very reason).

Try filling it up with Premium, chucking some methol in it (in case the prob is water related) then give it damn good thrasing it....that might work (or blow it up, one or the other). :p

3. Maybe check the oil in the oil tank (these are two strokes, aren't they?)

:?:

4. Several things come to mind.
    Fouled plugs, bad fuel, fuel blockage.
    Plugs are common failings on 2 strokes when left to sit a while or running poor fuel/oil mix.

Suggest refill the tank, clean the plugs and run for a few minutes using whatever technique you need and hope it clears itself.

best of luck,

5. that's a helluva bike to start on !

6. 2 strokes are great eh :LOL:

if you ran out of oil in the mixer you'd be revving like crazy without touching the throttle, you'd also probably find a piston going through your tank if you left it too long like that :shock:

fouled plugs are definately the first thing i'd be checking, how do you ride the thing? if you're really new to the game then you've probably been riding around real slow and not giving it enuff stick to hit real power. that being the case, the plugs will foul up real easy and give you some troubles. normally tho, if you rev it up a bit, you'll clear them up enuff to get going.

buuuut, if it starts fine then it might not be the plugs, they'll normally give you hell trying to start if they're fouled up (at least they did on my old dirt squirters). i had an issue that sounded like this when i was 15 with an rm125. thing started fine and took off ok but didn't want to rev fark all, plugs were new and fuel was new. i didn't know what they were talking about when they worked it out but it was something electrical in the motor.

7. Perhaps not the easiest ride - but then again I'm not sure that an 8 yr old on a ZZR250 can talk :wink:

8. hehehehe, I was 8 sometime in the mid 70's ;)

9. Plugs!
    Cheers,
    Pete

10. OK, thanks for the advice everyone. I've got new oil and will buy sume premium unleaded tonight.

Coconuts - I think your assessment of my riding is spot on and quite possible the cause of my problems

Hopefully a good thrashing (well as good as I give) will sort things out and not blow up the bike!!!

11. Can you give us any more info?
    Does it splutter or is it still running smooth when it won't pull?
    Trouble starting? Blowing smoke? (or more than usual)
    Other possibilities are fueling (jetting, blocked filter), throttle linkage probs. etc.

12. Sounds like fuel starvation.
    Try opening the fuel cap and reclosing it ... or filling up with fuel.
    Failing that, more than likely a blockage somewhere - fuel filter, fuel line, carbs.

13. Can you give us any more info?
    Does it splutter or is it still running smooth when it won't pull?
    Trouble starting? Blowing smoke? (or more than usual)
    Other possibilities are fueling (jetting, blocked filter), throttle linkage probs. etc.

14. Water in the carbs (might have a drain plug underneath the bowl), clean air filter (this may be it, but it seems to be too sudden of an occurance), check/replace spark plugs (most likely). Other that that it could be blocked jets in the carbs, poor spark from mag'.